In this issue:
(i) First Bangabandhu Lecture on ‘Sustainable Energy’ by Bangabandhu Chair Professor Dr. Joyashree Roy – 15 March 2018
On the occasion of the inauguration of the Bangabandhu Chair Professorship and Doctoral Fellowship endowed by the Government of Bangladesh at AIT, Ambassador of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh to Thailand H.E. Ms. Saida Muna Tasneem and AIT President Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai invite the AIT Community to the first Bangabandhu Lecture on ‘Sustainable Energy’ to be delivered by Bangabandhu Chair Professor Dr. Joyashree Roy on Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 11:30 a.m. at the Robert B. Banks Auditorium, AIT Conference Center.
Hon’ble Foreign Minister of Bangladesh H.E. Mr. Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali, M.P. will grace the occasion as the Guest of Honour.
(ii) SOM Welcomes New International Visiting Faculty Members
AIT’s School of Management (SOM) is pleased to welcome new international visiting faculty members who have joined AIT in March 2018 as follows:
Dr. George Hylden holds a Master's and Doctorate degree from the University of Cambridge and is an alumnus of Princeton University. He has held visiting academic positions at universities in Singapore, China and Thailand while pursuing his interdisciplinary academic interests in strategy, international business, finance and economics. George combines his academic interests with his business interests and entrepreneurial ventures which focus on spotting unconventional business opportunities and commercializing new ideas. In his free time he enjoys travelling around Asia, improving his Mandarin and maximizing exposure for serendipitous encounters.
Dr. George Hylden will teach the courses SM80.1706 Managerial Economics in March 2018, and SM80.9055 International Business Ventures: Selected Cases Studies in June 2018 at main campus; and SM80.1706 Managerial Economics in June 2018 for MBA-Weekend in Bangkok. He can be contacted at Room 234, tel. ext. 6019, emails: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Lakeesha K. Ransom obtained her PhD in HRD & Strategic Management (2007) and MA in Comparative & International Development Education from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, U.S.A., where she also served as a University Regent for six years.
Dr. Lakeesha K. Ransom most recently served as Vice Provost of The University of Akron, Ohio, U.S.A. and Dean of the University's Williams Honors College since 2015. She was Assistant Professor and Dean of Jesup Scott Honors College, University of Toledo, Ohio (2013-2015).
During 2009-2013, Dr. Lakeesha K. Ransom was a Visiting Professor at Assumption University, Bangkok while working as the Principal of Mariposa Global Minneapolis in Bangkok (2000-2013). She was a Senior Manager of Best Buy Richfield, Minnesota (2006-2009).
Dr. Lakeesha K. Ransom will teach the courses SM80.9056 Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Development in March 2018 at main campus; and SM80.1704 Entrepreneurship & New Ventures in June 2018 for MBA-Weekend in Bangkok. She can be contacted at Room 240, tel. ext. 5660, emails: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
(iii) Final Development : Attendance Report and it descriptions
Email from Interim Director – OHRS (23 Feb. 2018)
Please note that we will process payment just only employees who return the attendance report to OHRS on conditions as indicated below:
1. Effective date is from 16 March - 15 April 2018 (to be filled in the form)
2. Return this subject form to OHRS, not later than 17th of each month (starting April).
3. Direct supervisory position should delegate authority for signing the Attendance Report during his / her absent.
4. Staff of grade 1 to grade 7 are required to fill this Attendance Report.
5. All types of leave forms can submit to OHRS on regular basis.
Office of Human Resources Services
(iv) New Medical Benefits Power Point Presentation
Email from Interim Director – OHRS (8 Mar. 2018)
The power point presentation during the Forum on the New Medical Benefits held on last 23 February 2018, is now online at the following link:
Please click “About the Medical Plan” to view the presentation details.
(v) Additional Benefits from Southeast Life Insurance Company in case of death
Email from Interim Director – OHRS (8 Mar. 2018)
Please be informed that eligible faculty or staff, under the Southeast Life Insurance Scheme Coverage, who passes away, is entitled to receive an extra payment of THB. 50,000 from Southeast Life Insurance Company, in addition to the regular rates of payment of 24 times of his /her basic salary from the Bangkok Life Insurance company.
Please fill your beneficiary names with your signature and return the form (sent by OHRS) to OHRS by Friday, March 16, 2018.
(vi) Vacant Seats Available for Staff Vans
Email from Office of Human Resources Services (9 Jan. 2018)
Kindly be informed that the available seats for AIT Staff Vans are indicated as follows:
Route 1: Latplakaow - Ramintra - Sapanmai - Phaholyothin km. 27 - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 2: Sathorn - BTS Morchit - Vibhavadi - AIT , still has 2 seats available (from 3 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space )
Route 3 : Nonthaburi - BTS Ministry of Public Health - Pongpetch - Laksi - Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 4: Thonburi- The Mall Tha-pra - Pinklao Intersection- Rama VII Bridge -Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 4 seats available (from 5 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
For further communication and reservation, please contract Khun Jirada at ext.5018 or email@example.com.
(vii) Competition with Vinci Construction for Civil Engineering Students
Vinci Construction, the world’s top construction company, is looking for innovative students to imagine tomorrow’s construction industry, encompassing 3 domains:
The construction site of the future
Sustainable construction and resilience
Cities above and under cities
The finalist teams will be invited to Annecy in France in mid-May 2018 to pitch their project in front of Vinci's top managers and participate in a 2-day final including a sports challenge. Also, the best team will be invited to visit one of Vinci's exceptional projects in Europe, Asia or South America.
To participate, you simply have to create or join a 4-member team (not less or more) and submit the following deliverables in your participation field before 1 April 2018, 23.59:
A 3-slide PowerPoint or PDF about your project in English
A 1min30-video introducing your project in English
See more details: https://www.agorize.com/en/challenges/thetrail
(a) AIT Career Fair & SU Research Exhibition - 28 March 2018!
Email from AIT Career Center (12 Mar. 2018)
2 WEEKS TO GO !
Twenty-two (22) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 28 March 2018 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the AIT Conference Center.
You are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
COMPANIES who have confirmed to join so far:
1. Dee Staff Recruitment Co. Ltd. - recruitment company
2. Erawan Sugar Co. Ltd. - one of the leading companies in sugar business in Thailand
3. Goldwind International (Thailand) Co. Ltd. - international enterprise specializing in wind turbine generators, R & D and manufacturing of its innovative leading edge wind turbine technology
4. Krungthai-AXA Life Insurance PCL - provider of life insurance services in Thailand
5. SEC Consult Thailand Co. Ltd. - leading European consultancy for application security services and information security consultancies with subsidiaries internationally
6. Thermax Ltd. - engineering company providing sustainable solutions in energy and environment in India and internationally
Continuing Career Fair Partners:
1. Amata Corporation PCL - world's leading industrial city developer
2. Asian Engineering Consultants (AEC) Corp. Ltd. - consulting services for major public and private construction projects
3. Bouygues-Thai Ltd. - leading construction company in Asia
4. Codium Co. Ltd. - build mobile, tablet, desktop application, and enterprises solutions using the latest open source technology
5. Kasikorn Bank - leading universal banking group in Thailand
6. King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT) - engineering and technology academy in Thailand
7. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. - one of the world's few multidisciplinary, and truly integrated engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
8. MFEC PCL - Thailand's fastest growing IT Services enterprise
9. Panya Consultants Co. Ltd. - provides consulting and management services to the government, private sector and international organizations
10. Project Planning Services PCL - leading engineering professional services firm
11. Pylon PCL - specialty foundation contractor company
12. Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) - international institution for the generation & application of early warning information
13. Schneider Electric - global specialist in energy management and automation
14. Siam Commercial Bank PCL - universal banking group
15. Siam Makro PCL - wholesale center for professional business operators
16. Thai Union Group PCL - Thailand-based producer of seafood-based food products
CAREER TALK Schedule:
¤ VPD Talk on "Manage Time, Money & Stress" on 12 March 2018 (Monday- TODAY!), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., B-108, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Surendra Shrestha, VPD, AIT
¤ Codium Career Talk on 14 March 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., TV Room, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Sivabudh Umpudh, CEO, Codium Co. Ltd.
¤ Goldwind Career Talk on 21 March 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., Rm. B-115, AIT Conference Center, Speaker: Mr. Tanapat Pongvanatsabodee, Business Development Manager
Note: TOEIC Test on 16 March 2018 (Friday) at 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Milton Bender Auditorium! Please be there in MEB Auditorium at 12:30 pm.
¤ AIT Student Union (AIT-SU) sponsored RESEARCH EXHIBITION showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research at the AITCC Lobby
¤ Variety of food, drinks, books and personal accessories sold outside the AIT Conference Center
(Note: Stalls for free to those interested to rent for selling refreshments/lunch and provide games! just contact us)
¤ AND Goodies ! free stationery and a lot more!
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, please drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.ac.th
or check/like: https://www.facebook.com/officialaitcareercenter
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact us via phone: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
(ii) LECTURES / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES
(a) Career Talk by AIT Vice President for Development, Mr. Surendra Shrestha: 12 Mar. 2018
AIT Career Center will organize a Career Talk by AIT Vice President for Development, Mr. Surendra Shrestha, on the topic “Manage Time, Money and Stress”
Date: Monday, 12 March 2018
Time: 4:00-5:00 pm
Venue: Rm. B-108, AITCC (behind Reception Desk)
Mr. Shrestha has had a stellar career with the United Nations, having served in management capacities in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America. As the UNEP Director for Strategic Resource Mobilization over a two-year period, his office contributed to the move to a structured annual dialogue with key donors; doubling of the financial resources from about $ 220 million to $ 510 million. He also provided lead role in contributing to new curriculum design in Tongji University (IESD), UNU (SD), collective effort for holistic curriculum on waste management with six universities. In addition, Mr. Shrestha provided intellectual leadership for the establishment of Atmospheric Brown Cloud bringing together 35 institutions and 250 scientists. He also provided institutional leadership for: the establishment/revitalization and growth of ICIMOD in Nepal; RRC.AP at AIT, Tongji Institute of Environment for Sustainable Development in Shanghai; Eco-Peace Leadership Centre in Korea; Strategic Planning and Resource Mobilization at UNEP HQ; and IETC in Osaka, Japan.
Mr. Shrestha completed his BSc. Economics and Computer Science from Keele University, Staffordshire, U.K. (1975-1978) and received his MSc. Computer Applications, from AIT (1979-1980). Among the many important positions he has held, include serving as the UNEP Regional Director / Representative for Asia and Pacific, and more recently as Director of the International Environment Technology Centre (IETC) based in Osaka, Japan.
To pre-register, please fill up the link below:
(b) ICT Seminar Talk on "Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Research" by Dr. Chanathip Namprempre: 14 Mar. 2018
ICT Department will organize a seminar talk entitled "Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Research" by Dr. Chanathip Namprempre, Associate Professor, Faculty of Engineering, Thammasat University.
Date: Wednesday 14 March 2018
Time: 1.00 pm.-3.00 pm.
Venue: Milton Bender Auditorium
More details: https://www.ait.ac.th/event/seminar-cryptocurrencies-blockchain-research/
(c) 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering
Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities and Infrastructures: 22-25 Nov 2018
Urbanization is one of the major global challenges of this era. To address the issues related to safety of cities and infrastructure, the 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering (7ACEE 2018) is being jointly organized by AIT and Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) in collaboration with the Association of Structural Engineers of the Philippines Inc. (ASEP), from 22 - 25 November 2018 in Bangkok.
Engineers, architects, professionals, students, institutes, universities, and organizations are invited to submit abstracts and share their experience under the theme Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities. Download Abstract Template
All who are submitting Abstracts or papers are also requested to provide a short biography (no more than 100 words) and recent photo that will be published in both the conference program and the conference proceedings.
Open for Abstract Submission - Mar 1, 2018
Deadline for Abstract Submission - Apr 15, 2018
Registration Deadline - Aug 31, 2018
More details: http://acee2018.org/
(iii) COURSES / TRAININGS
(a) Training Programme on Economics of Climate Change Adaptation: 12 – 23 Mar. 2018
The Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific at the AIT, in cooperation with UNDP and USAID Adapt Asia-Pacific, will organize the second run of the training course on the Economics of Climate Change Adaptation under the Climate Change Asia initiative from 12 – 23 March 2018 in Bangkok (exact location to be confirmed)
More details: https://www.ait.ac.th/events/
- Delegation from the Embassy of the S.R. of Vietnam, led by H.E. Ambassador Nguyen Hai Bang / 12 Mar. 2018 / to strengthen the cordial relationship between AIT and the Government of Vietnam and to discuss aspects of the partnership for 2018 and future
(i) AIT Front Gate: The Scheduled of Demolition to The Existing Buildings
Email from OFAM (8 Mar. 2018)
Please be informed that the contractor has started demolishing the below buildings since Saturday, 10 March 2018 and may take 7 days to complete the work
1) Security Office + Parking Shed
2) Sub Station-1
3) Old Bus Stop
Meanwhile, we would like apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support.
(ii) New AITCC Annex & renovation of car park near Arcade
A new AITCC Annex building will be constructed opposite to AIT swimming Pool/AIT Solutions. The construction work will start from 1 October 2017 and expected to be completed by April 2018. To prepare the area for construction, the car park area opposite to swimming pool/AIT Solutions will be demolished partially and a new sewage line will be laid from Arcade area.
During the process of this work, the area will be barricaded and there might be some disturbance as well as noise.
Please be also informed that currently partial section of car park area opposite to Arcade is being renovated. It may take a week to complete the work and the area will be closed.
- Prof. Lawrence Stephen Abeln / Yangon, Myanmar / 15 – 20 February 2018*
- Prof. Lawrence Stephen Abeln / Songkhla, Thailand / 21 February 2018*
- Mr. Binod Bhatta / San Francisco, U.S.A. / 26 February – 13 March 2018
- Prof. Kyoko Kusakabe / Vientiane, Laos / 1 – 2 March 2018*
- Prof. Lawrence Stephen Abeln / Mandalay and Yangon, Myanmar / 1 – 9 March 2018*
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Vietnam / 2 – 4 March 2018*
- Mr. Syed Muntasir Husain Bokhari / Jakarta, Indonesia / 3 – 17 March 2018
- Prof. Nitin K. Tripathi, Ms. Netnapa Udom, Ms Sri Nidhi Bolmi, Mr. Yogendra Mishra, and Mr. Singkhon Mahamontree / Nanjing, China / 4 – 16 March 2018
- Mr. Nawarathnage L. Deshapriya / Bali, Indonesia / 6 – 9 March 2018*
- Ms. Sudchai Naikaset / Tokyo, Japan / 6 – 11 March 2018*
- Ms. Kluaymai Thongkham / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 7 – 10 March 2018*
- Dr. Peeyush Soni and Dr. Wattanaporn Meskuntavon / Khon Kaen and Mahasarakam, Thailand / 9 March 2018*
- Dr. Mongkol Ekpanyayong / Maha Sarakham, Thailand / 9 March 2018*
- Prof. Lawrence Stephen Abeln / Kathmandu, Nepal / 9 – 11 March 2018*
- Dr. Chitrini Mozumder / Nanjing, China / 9 – 16 March 2018
- Mr. Ashok Dahal / Hue, Vietnam / 10 – 16 March 2018
- Mr. Kevin Mauritson / Malaysia / 11 – 13 March 2018
- Dr. Naveed Anwar / Manila and Cebu, Philippines / 11 – 16 March 2018
- Mr. Thaung Htut Aung / Manila and Cebu, Philippines / 11 – 18 March 2018
- Ms. Parichad Nuntavong / Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney, Australia / 11 – 25 March 2018
- Dr. Thanh Dan Tran / Hue, Vietnam / 10 – 20 March 2018
- Mr. Sanjeev Pradeep Jayasinghe / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / 12 – 14 March 2018
- Dr. Sundar Venkatesh / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 12 – 15 March 2018
- Ms. Kluaymai Thongkham / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 12 – 15 March 2018
- Prof. Weerakorn Ongsakul / USA / 12 – 16 March 2018
- Dr. Manzul K. Hazarika / Kolkata, Assam, India / 12 – 18 March 2018
- Mr. Shabbir Talpur / Cebu, Philippines / 13 – 18 March 2018
- Mr. S. M. Zia Uddin / Cebu, Philippines / 13 – 18 March 2018
- Dr. Sangam Shrestha / Galle, Sri Lanka / 14 – 16 March 2018
- Dr. Kannawee Kanitpong, Dr. Surachet Pravinvongvuth / Chiangmai / 14 – 18 March 2018
- Dr. Sangam Shretha / Galle, Sri Lanka / Prof. Rajendra P. Shrestha / Oslo, Norway / 15 – 21 March 2018
- Dr. Chotchai Charoenngam / Vietnam / 16 – 19 March 2018
- Mr. Ashok Dahai / Cordoba, Argentina / 16 – 26 March
- Dr. Anil Kumar anal / Montpellier, France / 17 – 25 March 2018
- Mrs. Sumana Shrestha / Kathmandu, Nepal / 18 – 23 March 2018
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Position: Administrative Staff (Social Media and Promotions Coordinator) (Office of the Media & Communications)
Deadline: 15 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Webmaster) (Office of the Media & Communications)
Deadline: 15 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Office of the Media & Communications)
Deadline: 15 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Program Officer) (AIT Extention)
Deadline: 19 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Asst. Program Officer) (AIT Extention)
Deadline: 19 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Accountant) (Finance Office)
Deadline: 23 March 2018
Faculty Positions (School of Management)
Ref. No. Fac 01/18
Deadline: 28 March 2018
Position: Elementary Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 14/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Music Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 15/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Pre-K Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 16/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Center of Excellence in Nanotechnology)
Ref. No. 22/18
Deadline: 31 March 2018
Technical Staff (Technician) (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No. 45/17
Deadline: 31 March 2018