WEEK #12: 20 – 26 March2017
In this issue:
(i) Sudheer Yadav elected AIT Students' Union Vice President
The AIT Students' Union (AITSU) has elected Sudheer Yadav from India as its Vice President. He will take over as the AITSU President in the next semester succeeding the incumbent Ms Piraya Lueprasitsakul.
According to the AIT-SU Election Commission (January 2017 Semester), 602 votes were cast (31.32 per cent of the total electorate). Sudheer was the only nominee.
Number of votes cast in favor of Mr. Sudheer Yadav: 507 (84.22%)
Number of votes cast in disapproval of Mr. Sudheer Yadav: 69 (11.46%)
Number of Invalid votes: 26 (4.32%)
In addition, the following appointments are confirmed for the next semester:
General Secretary : Mr. Madusha Gallage
Treasurer : Mr. Mohamed Haikal
General Speaker : Ms. Afsana Shahid
(ii) Grant for purchasing books and equipment from India (Indian grant support)
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, has recently contributed FY 2016-2017 Grants-in-Aid to AIT for purchasing books published and equipment manufactured in India. The fund available for books and equipment is about THB 100,000 and about THB 40,000 respectively.
Therefore, faculty and staff members please provide the list of books and equipment that they would like to buy by Monday 27 March 2017.
The AIT - Indian Steering Committee will meet and finalize the list immediately thereafter (Members are: VPAA, Prof. Routray, Prof. Tripathi, Dr Jai Govind Singh and Prof. Barbara Igel). Please contact Ms. Sumana Shrestha, OEXR at email@example.com for the document to fill and for further information.
(iii) New Locations of the Offices in the Administration Building
The Administration Building will be renovated from Jan – June 2017. Most offices in the building have started moving to AIT Conference Center and other buildings. Below is the list of the new location of Administration Offices:
President: Presidential Lounge, AITCC
VP Administration: Room B138
VP Academic Affairs: Room B136
VP Development: Room B130
Office of the President and Office of the Institute Secretary: Room B144B
Office of Academic Administration: Room B144A
Office of Human Resource Services: Room B109
Office of Internal Auditor: Room B113
Office of External Relation and Office of Host Country Relation: B115
Office of Special Degree Program: B115
Office of Advancement: Room 102 (ground floor), Outreach Building
Office of Finance: Room 225 (2nd Floor)
Office of GRU: Room 223 (2nd Floor)
Office of Purchasing and Inventory Procurement: Admin (No Change)
Office of Student and Affairs: Admin (No Change)
(iv) Elsevier Quiz for AIT
AIT Library invites AIT Community to participate in the online quiz organized by Elsevier. The quiz starts on 8 March and ends on 30 April 2017. The first prize is Starbucks Card. Please access the URL link at: http://asia.elsevier.com/AITquiz2017 .
(iv) Trial of EBSCO Business Source Complete
EBSCO has arranged a trial for Business Source Complete for one month for AIT. The Business Source Complete is set up via the AIT Library website. Please access the Library at 188.8.131.52. Please scroll down the Library's web page and click Trial Databases. Then click Business Source Complete. Information about the Business Source Complete and links will be available - link for the main database and related links available in the Business Source Complete as follows.
1) Business Source Complete
2) Harvard Business VDO
3) Harvard Business Review
4) Harvard Business Review : Case Study
5) Harvard Business Review : Issues available
Please be informed that the trial is authenticated by AIT IP Address ranges. If you access the trial from AIT campus, there will not be any problem - no username and password are required. Please also be advised that if you use your mobile phone to access the trial, please logout from your mobile/IPAD Internet and try again to log in to the Internet by using AIT login account.
To access the trial from the Library's webpage is easy and simple, please follow the steps below.
1) Go to http://184.108.40.206 or http://library.ait.asia . Scroll down and click "Trial Databases"
2) Click on "Business Source Complete" to link to the information of this database.
3) Click "Link" next to Business Source Complete if you want to search the database. You will see the page that you can search and download.
Please follow the Library’s advice on the login and check whether the users are on campus or whether they are using the Internet from different Internet providers. If anyone still needs assistance, please contact Khun Watcharin at firstname.lastname@example.org
(v) 2016 Personal Income Tax – IMPORTANT
Please be reminded that the deadline of 2016 Personal Income tax filing will be on March 31, 2017.
Payroll now has already finished your a) Withholding income tax certificate and b) Draft PND 91 to guide your tax filing (created by IT Department). The documents will be delivered to you no later than this week.
You can either submitted the tax filing on line or by hard copy. On-line is encouraged. However, if you want to submit by hard copy, you can print the official PND 91 from the soft file enclosed in this email.
For comparison of Draft PNG 91 by IT with the official Thai PND 91:-
Draft PND 91 by IT Official PND 91
A Tax Computation Page 1 Page 2
B Exempted Income Page 1 Page 2
C Details of Allowances and Exemptions after deduction of Expenses Page 2 Page 3
Please note that in 2016, there were several special tax incentives provided by the Thai government to stimulate the economic. These are taxable expenses which you can declare in the PND 91 form Section C items 15-19.
15 Food and domestic tourism expense allowance during the Songkran festival (09-17 April 2016) Amount actually paid but not more than 15,000 baht
16 Domestic travel and hotel expense allowance for cost paid during 01 Jan – 30 Dec 2016 Amount actually paid but not more than 15,000 baht
17 OTOP (One Tambon One Product) purchase allowance during 01 – 31 Aug 2016 Amount actually paid but not more than 15,000 baht
18 Domestic travel and hotel expense allowance for cost paid during 01 – 31 Dec 2016 Amount actually paid but not more than 15,000 baht
19 Year-end shopping boost allowance for spending during 14 – 31 Dec 2016 Amount actually paid but not more than 15,000 baht
Remarks: This can be applied only for goods & service with VAT
You need to submit proper VAT Receipts together with the PND 91.
(vi) Trials for Elsevier e-books, Springer e-books, Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies and Elsevier Knovel
AIT Library will have new online resources and e-books in 2017. Elsevier e-books, Springer e-books and Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies will be activated in January 2017 whereas Elsevier Knovel will be officially started in April 2017. During the month of December 2016 (and December 2016 through March 2017 for Knovel), the publishers of these e-books and online resources have set up trials for AIT.
AIT Library invites all faculty, staff, and students to access the mentioned e-books and online resources from the Library webpage at 220.127.116.11. The Library webpage may be accessed from the AIT website. Alternatively, click the following URL links to access the e-books and online resources.
For Elsevier e-books: www.sciencedirect.com
For Springer e-books:
To access the trial for Springer e-books copyright year 2005-2016, please click the link attached below:
The content is about 5,000 titles. You can view, download and print. Users can access Springer e-books from the above link or access through the Library webpage at 18.104.22.168 and click "Springer New e-books" from the "Trial Databases".
For Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/topic/cs_all?sortBy=Ppub
For Elsevier Knovel: http://app.knovel.com/web/
Users can view, download and print. The content is about 3,000 titles for Elsevier e-books, 5,000 titles for Springer e-books and 400 cases for Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies.
(vii) Call for Application on The Newton Fund Grants
The Newton Fund is now offering 2 grants below for researchers. The grants are an initiative that aims to develop long-term sustainable growth and welfare of partner countries by building research and innovation capacity. It forms part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment.
Thailand – UK Newton Advanced Fellowships:
Newton Advanced Fellowships provide mid-career researchers with an opportunity to develop their strengths and capabilities within their research group or network. This is done through training, collaboration and reciprocal visits with a partner in the UK.
For researchers across sciences, if you want more information on the process, eligibility and how to apply, visit: https://royalsociety.org/grants-schemes-awards/grants/newton-advanced-fellowships/
The closing date is Thursday 23 March 2017, 5pm (UK time)
(viii) Invitation to the International Congress on Education for the 21st Century, 3-4 May 2017, Impact Forum, Nonthaburi, Thailand
The Ministry of Education Thailand, in collaboration with SEAMEO, will organize the International Congress on Education for the 21st Century (ICE2017) with the theme “Making a Difference: Shaping a New Learning Paradigm for a Sustainable Southeast Asia.” The congress is to be held on 3-4 May 2017 at Impact Forum, Nonthaburi, Thailand.
The Congress aims to provide a platform for conversations, consensus, commitment to collaborate and cooperate among educators and stakeholders in Southeast Asia. It also aims to generate perspectives on how to best shape education and human resource development policies and practices to not only be in line with regional accelerating development but also for sustainable development for well-being and peaceful living of people in the region.
In this relation, the Organizing Committee wishes to invite interested persons to participate in the event. The Organizing Committee also welcomes 70 scholars/officers/practitioners from other countries outside Southeast Asian Region to attend the ICE2017 only if they successfully register online via www.ice-moeth2017.seameo.org .
Interested persons are invited to submit abstracts to ICE2017 under the designated sub-themes to related academe and institutions. The Ministry of Education Thailand will provide 2-night accommodation at Novotel Bangkok Impact Hotel and meals during the event for the selected paper presenters. The presenters will be responsible for airfare and transportation costs to and from the meeting venue. The abstract submission deadline is 30 March 2017.
(i) EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS
(a) AIT Career Fair: 29 Mar. 2017
AIT CAREER FAIR & S.U. RESEARCH EXHIBITION will be organized by AIT Career Center on 29 March 2017.
Twenty-two (22) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 29 March 2017 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. at the AIT Conference Center. You are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
A brief profile of the companies that are attending our Fair for the very first time are given below:
1. Chip Mong Insee Cement Corporation – a Cambodian registered business with modern green field cement manufacturing and a joint venture between Chip Mong Group and Siam City Cement Company (SCCC) from Thailand
2. Elabram Systems Co. Ltd.- provider of Network Planning Optimization (NPO), Talent Acquisition & Deployment (TAD) and Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO)
3. Micromatics Co. Ltd. - one of the finest manufacturers of high precision turned parts for the automotive and many other industries in Southeast Asia
4. John Bean Technologies (Thailand) Limited - global industry leader in the food and aviation equipment markets
5. ScoopPeople.Asia - empowers companies through innovation and technology to search and hire new talent directly
6. Prospect International Ltd. - company specialising in outsourcing services based in Thailand
The above companies are now joining the list with:
1. Asian Engineering Consultants Corp. Ltd. - consulting services for major public and private construction projects
2. Bangkok Produce Merchandising PCL (CP Foods Group) - provides broiler chicken processing and distributes animal feed raw material
3. Black and Veatch Thailand Ltd. - global leader in engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) services for energy, water and telecommunications
4. Bombardier Transportation Signal (Thailand) Co. Ltd. - world's leading manufacturer of both plane and trains
5. Boon Rawd Brewery Co. Ltd. – Thailand’s first and largest brewery
6. Bouygues-Thai Ltd. - leading construction company in Asia
7. Dairy Plus Co. Ltd. (Dutch Mill Group) - provider of premium quality dairy products
8. Eight-Japan Engineering Consultants Inc. (EJEC) - provides infrastructure solution consultancy services in Japan and internationally
9. Fabrinet Co. Ltd. - provides manufacturing service to the world's leading OEMs through an unparalleled enginering center of excellence
10. Italthai Engineering Co. Ltd. - leading Thai professional engineering contractor
11. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. - one of the world's few multidisciplinary, and truly integrated engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
12. Panya Consultants Co. Ltd. – multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary professional consulting and management service provider
13. Pylon PCL - specialty foundation contractor company
14. Supalai PCL - real estate development operator
15. Team Consulting and Engineering Co. Ltd. - Thailand's largest conglomerate of consulting companies
16. The Bangchak Petroleum PCL – Thai energy company which deals in refining and marketing petroleum products
CAREER TALK SCHEDULE:
• Tipco Foods Career Talk on 22 March 2017, Wed, 4:00 - 5:30 pm, MEB Auditorium
• AIT Student Union (AIT-SU) sponsored RESEARCH EXHIBITION showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research at the AITCC Lobby
• Variety of food and drinks sold outside the AIT Conference Center
(Note: Stalls for free to those interested to rent for selling refreshments/lunch and provide games! just contact us)
• AND Goodies ! free stationery, bags and a lot more!
CAREER CENTER WEBSITE SPONSOR Companies:
• Chip Mong InseeCement Corporation (Cambodia)
• Micromatics Co. Ltd.
• John Bean Technologies
• ScoopPeople Asia
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.asia
or check: https://www.facebook.com/officialaitcareercenter
or email: email@example.com
or contact us via phone: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
(ii) LECTURES / SEMINARS / CONFERENCE
(a) Giant Prawn 2017: 20 – 24 Mar. 2017
Giant Prawn 2017 - a conference on farming of prawns is being organized at AIT from 20-24 March 2016 at the AIT Conference Center.
More details about the conference are available at this link: http://www.giantprawn.org/about.htm
(b) Career Talk by TIPCO Foods: 22 Mar. 2017
A Career Talk will be delivered by TIPCO Foods on 22 March 2017 from 16:00-17:00 hours at the Milton E. Bender Jr. Auditorium.
Date: 22 March 2017, Wednesday
Venue: Milton Bender Auditorium, AIT
Time : 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Khun Kittichet Sathitnoppachai- VP of Corporate Marketing
Khun Unnruenan Nutsati - VP Learning and Development, People Management Department
(c) Special Lecture on “Home is where the money goes: determinants and impacts of remittance flows in the Ganges Brahmaputra and Mekong delta regions”: 28 Mar 2017
Dr. Sylvia Maria Szabo, Nutrition Policy and Advocacy Adviser at Save the Children UK, will give a special lecture on “Home is where the money goes: determinants and impacts of remittance flows in the Ganges Brahmaputra and Mekong delta regions” . The presentation will be held on following:
Date: Tuesday, 28 March 2017
Time: 14.00 -16:00 hrs.
Venue: S101, SERD Meeting Room
(i) Use of Group Study Rooms – AIT Library
AIT Library requests for good cooperation from the users of Group Study rooms as follows:
1) The Library has got 16 Group Study Rooms and expects that all the Library's patrons have chance to make use of these rooms. Currently, some students have booked the Group Study Room but they did not use the room. No one was in the room. Only their belongings were there. The Library is requesting students’ cooperation to cancel the booking if they happen to have urgent matters. When any student books the room and does not show up, or no one is in the booked room, the Library will cancel the booking.
2) The Library would like to request all the users to help tidy the Group Study Room before you leave the room. Please help collect unwanted scrap paper on the table and throw them in the trash can, put the chairs back in their place, and clean the whiteboard.
(ii) Temporary Relocation of Photo Vending Machine from Administration to Cafeteria
Please be informed that due to the renovation of the ground floor of the Administration Building, the photo vending machine has been moved temporarily to Cafeteria (entrance opposite Korea House).
Dr. Sundar Venkatesh / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 22 – 28 February 2017*
Dr. B.H.W. hadikusumo / Vietnam / 6 – 7 March 2017*
Prof. Nitin K. Tripathi / Khon Kaen, Thailand / 9 – 11 March 2017*
Ms. Colleen Curran / Manila and Butuan, Philippines / 10 – 17 March 2017*
Ms. Aakanchya Budhathoki / Phuket, Thailand / 13 – 15 March 2017*
Dr. Suresh Bajirao Lokhande / Surin and Sisaket, Thailand / 13 – 17 March 2017*
Ms. Anyarat Chalom / Surin and Sisaket, Thailand / 13 – 17 March 2017*
Dr. Lal Samarakoon / Bhutan / 14 – 17 March 2017*
Dr. Nophea Sasaki / Cambodia / 15 – 17 March 2017*
Mr. Supote Thammasithirong / Nakhon Pathom,Thailand / 16 – 17 March 2017*
Mr. Thomas Guy Hamilton / Yangon, Myanmar / 17 – 19 March 2017*
Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Myanmar / 17 – 20 March 2017
Dr. Sangam Shrestha / Kathmandu, Nepal / 17 – 21 March 2017
Dr. Krailak Fakkaew / Frankfurt and Aachen, Germany / 17 March – 7 April 2017
Prof. Rajendra P. Shestha / Abu Dhabi, UAE / 19 – 21 March 2017
Prof. Mukand Singh Babel and Ms. Aakanchya Budhathoki / Newcastle, UK / 19 – 26 March 2017
Dr. Didin Agustian Permadi / Italy and Belgium / 19 March – 2 April 2017
Dr. Indrajit Pal / Nakhon Pathom, Thailand / 20 – 22 March 2017
Dr. Lal Samarakoon / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 20 – 24 March 2017
Dr. Manzul K. Hazarika / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 20 – 24 March 2017
Ms. Colleen Curran / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 20 – 24 March 2017
Mr. Justin Finch / Manila, Philippines / 21 – 23 March 2017
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / Glasgow, Scotland / 21 – 31 March 2017
Ms. Araya Wicheansan / Glasgow, Scotland / 21 – 31 March 2017
Dr. Kunnawee kanitpong, Dr. Surachet Pravinvongvuth, Mr. Supanut Juisoel / Chiang Mai, Thailand / 22 – 26 March 2017
Dr. Ekbordin Winijkul / Brussels, Belgium / 25 March – 1 April 2017
Prof. C. Visvanathan / Nanjing, P.R. China / 26 – 29 March 2017
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Position: Web Developer (Software Development Unit)
Deadline: 31 March 2017
Position: Administrative Staff (Coordinator) Organizational Service Development (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No. 6/17
Deadline: 31 March 2017
Position: Technical Staff (Software Developer) (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No. 7/17
Deadline: 31 March 2017
Position: Administrative Staff (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No. 05/17
Deadline: 30 April 2017
Position: Head, Strategy & Coordination Cluster (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No. 46/16
Deadline: 15 May 2017