WEEK #32: 8 –14 August 2016
In this issue:
(i) AIT Newsletter: August 2016
The August 2016 edition of the monthly AIT Newsletter is now online.
(ii) Acting Dean of SOM
Professor Lawrence S. Abeln, new Dean of School of Management has to take a trip to the United States on short notice due to the passing away of his father recently. The AIT Community extends sincere condolence to Prof Abeln and his family for this great loss.
Meanwhile, with the consent of Dean Abeln, AIT President Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai requested Professor Nazrul Islam to serve as Acting Dean of SOM until Prof Abeln returns to take the post.
(iii) Handover ceremony of the scholarship from WE Consultants Co., Ltd
Wisit Engineering Consultants (WE Consultants) have announced a one million Baht Scholarship for a Master’s degree program in Structural Engineering, School of Engineering and Technology (SET). Dr. Wisit U. Pongsa, Managing Director of WE Consultants Co., Ltd. will present the cheque at a handover ceremony to be held on Thursday, 11 August 2016 at AIT.
Wisit Engineering Consultants Co., Ltd (WE Consultants) was established in 1989 by a group of professional engineers who have accumulated extensive experience over many years. WE Consultants is a multi-disciplinary firm offering comprehensive consulting services in civil, structural, mechanical, sanitary, electrical and environmental engineering. These services include through development planning, feasibility studies, value engineering, design and analysis, infrastructure planning, tender appraisals, and construction management and supervision.
(iv) Mr. Anthony Shun Fung Chiu, an AIT Alumnus, designated as a member of the UN International Resource Panel
AIT alumnus, Prof. Anthony Shun Fung Chiu, has been appointed as a member the International Resource Panel of the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP IRP) for three-year term from June 2016 to June 2019. The panel has 36 scientists as members, with four coming from the Asia-Pacific and two from ASEAN.
Prof Chiu, who graduated from AIT with a Master’s in Industrial Engineering and Management in 1988 is Past President of the AIT Alumni Association (Philippines). A Distinguished Adjunct Professor (DAP) at AIT, Prof. Chiu serves as the JM Reyes Professorial Chair and Research Fellow at the De La Salle University, Manila, The Philippines.
The role of UN IRP is to regularly publish a Report to the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) for science-based policy interface on sustainable development. The Panel was created in 2007.
(v) URGENT and FINAL REMINDER: Online Performance Appraisal 2016 (covering the period 1 July 2015-30 June 2016)
To all concerned immediate supervisors and Unit Heads of direct-hire (centrally-funded) staff members:
The online performance appraisal for this year 2016, covering the period from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016 has been re-opened until 15 August 2016.
The online system can be accessed through the “PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL” link in the HRIS menu (https://hris.ait.ac.th). The immediate supervisors can complete the individual Performance Appraisal Reports for all the employees under their supervision, and individually (electronically) submit them. The Unit Heads shall then review and endorse all completed Performance Appraisal Reports not later than 15 August 2016.
Please note that the annual performance appraisal results will be used for the purpose of determining the annual merit increment, among others. Those with no performance evaluations will not be considered for any merit payment and/or salary increments, which are performance-based.
Office of the Human Resources Services
(vi) EURAXESS ASEAN Flashnotes - Latest Funding and Career Opportunities for AIT Researchers
The Office of External Relations (OEXR) has announced a number of attractive opportunities for researchers which are presented in the latest EURAXESS ASEAN flash notes.
- United Kingdom - Newton Fund Institutional Links Programme. Thailand and Vietnam Eligible
- EMBO Short-Term Fellowships Open to Researchers in ASEAN. 3 month Research Visits to Labs in Europe and Elsewhere. Rolling Deadline.
- Germany - Humboldt Incoming Fellowships for researchers at different stages in their careers. ASEAN Researchers Eligible. Rolling Deadline.
- Switzerland: ETH Zurich Postdoctoral Fellowships. Researchers in ASEAN Eligible. Deadlines 1 Sept, 2016; 1 March 2017
- MSCA Individual Fellowships. One of Europe's Most Prestigious Fellowship Programmes. Deadline 14 September, 2016
- United Kingdom - Newton Research Collaboration Programme. Malaysia and Vietnam Eligible. Deadline 14 September, 2016
- British Academy Newton Advanced Fellowships in Social Sciences and Humanities. Malaysian Researchers Eligible. Deadline 14 September, 2016
- Royal Society Newton Advanced Fellowships for Malaysian Researchers. Deadline 14 September, 2016
- Newton Research Collaboration Programme. Malaysia and Vietnam Eligible. Deadline 14 September, 2016
- Newton Mobility Grants for Vietnamese Researchers. Deadline 14 September, 2016
- TWAS-BIOTEC Postdoctoral Fellowship Programmes in Thailand and Malaysia. Deadline 15 September, 2016
- Germany: International Research Fellowships at the International Research Center "Work and Human Lifecycle in Global History" at Humboldt University. Deadline 15 September, 2016
- Newton Fund Institutional Grants. Thailand and Vietnam Eligible. Deadline 19 September, 2016
- Newton Fund Researcher Links: Workshops Programme for Researchers in Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Deadline 19 September, 2016
- Newton Fund Researcher Links: Travel Grants Programme for Researchers in Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam. Deadline 19 September, 2016
- Advice on applying to funding schemes by Dr Claire McNulty, Director Science and Research, British Council
- United Kingdom - Newton Fund Research Workshop Grants. Thailand and Malaysia Eligible. Deadline 19 September, 2016
- Spain: InterTalentum Research Fellowships. Call Now Open. ASEAN Researchers Eligible. Deadline 30 September, 2016
- European Research Council Starting Grants. Call Now Open. Researchers from ASEAN Eligible. Deadline 18 October, 2016
- Italy – Jean Monnet Fellowships. ASEAN Researchers Eligible. Deadline 25 October, 2016
- List of European Institutions Interested in Hosting Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA)
- United Kingdom: Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine. ASEAN Researchers Eligible. Deadline 28 November, 2016
Sign up to EURAXESS Links ASEAN here:
CTCN: Project Opportunity in Gambia
As part of the CTCN project, there is a request for technical assistance received from Gambia entitled “Community-based livelihood improvement program".
If the subject area fits your expertise well, and if you would like to be involved in providing 'technical services' towards the implementation of this request, please contact Victor Shinde (firstname.lastname@example.org). He will help you in preparing a small application package (2-3 pages) that will be submitted to the CTCN Headquarters in Copenhagen. He will also explain to you the CTCN assistance mechanism. The application package will essentially contain information on:
- Capacity to work in the language used by the country requesting assistance.
- Work conducted on related topic/technology, if any (optional: provide relevant documents).
- Previous work in the country or region, if any (optional: provide relevant documents).
- Relationships and partnerships you may have in the country, if any.
Please note that submission of an application package does not guarantee an award. The CTCN Headquarters receives a number of applications from different organizations and it is their prerogative to choose the one they deem appropriate.
Please let SDDC Office know if you are interested in this opportunity before 16 August 2016
(vii) Suggest a tagline and win 10,000 THB !
Can you craft a slogan that best describes AIT?
If yes, then the best slogan can fetch you 10,000 THB.
You can submit upto three (3) taglines, and the last date for submission is 31 August 2016.
For details, visit this link:
(i) Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) Implementation Workshop: 23 – 24 August 2016
A two-day Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) Implementation Workshop will be organized on 23-24 August 2016 in Bangkok, Thailand.
CAP Workshops focus on emergency alerting, and people interested in emergency alerting are welcome to participate. This includes managers, technical staff, media, commercial organizations, governments, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). There is no workshop participation fees.
Hosts of the 2016 CAP Implementation Workshop are the Asian Institute of Technology and the Sahana Software Foundation.
(ii) Training Course on "Accounting for Carbon Emission Reductions and Removals through REDD+ Activities": 27 Nov. – 4 Dec. 2016
Natural Resources Management Field of Study, School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD) will organize a training course on "Accounting for Carbon Emission Reductions and Removals through REDD+ Activities" on 27 November – 4 December 2016 at the AIT conference center.
For more information, please see:
Closing: 30 September 2016
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Myanmar / 28 July – 1 August 2016*
- Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / Bangalore, India / 1 – 5 August 2016*
- Dr. Sohee Minsum Kim / Jakarta, Indonesia / 2 – 4 August 2016*
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Hong Kong and Vietnam / 2 – 12 August 2016
- Dr. Vilas Nitivattananon / Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam / 4 – 7 August 2016*
- Mr. Voravate Chonlasin / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 4 – 9 August 2016
- Dr. Masahiko Nagai / Tokyo and Yamaguchi, Japan / 4 – 14 August 2016
- Dr. Chotchai Charoenngam / Vietnam / 8 – 10 August 2016
- Dr. Syed Faizul Hassan Shah / Colombo, Sri Lanka and Lahore, Pakistan / 8 – 16 August 2016
- Dr. P. Abdul Salam / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 10 – 12 August 2016
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
1. Position: Internal Auditor (President's Office)
Ref. No. 33/16
Deadline: 10 August 2016
2. Position: Senior Development Officer (Vice President for Development)
Ref. No. 37/16
Deadline: 11 August 2016
3. Position: Development Officer (Vice President for Development)
Ref. No. 38/16
Deadline: 11 August 2016
4. Position: Administrative Officer (Office of Host Country Relations)
Ref. No. 26/16
Deadline: 15 August 2016
5. Position: Assistant Administrative Officer (Office of Host Country Relations)
Ref. No. 25/16
Deadline: 15 August 2016
6. Position: Campus Counsellor (Office of the President)
Ref. No. 34/16
Deadline: 17 August 2016
7. Position: Senior Programme Specialist, Climate Change Cluster (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No. 39/16
Deadline: 30 August 2016
8. Position: Head, Human Resources Office (Human Resources Office)
Ref. No. 7/16
Deadline: 31 August 2016
9. Laboratory Supervisor (School of Engineering and Technology)
Ref. No. 31/16
Deadline: 31 August 2016
10. Position: Structural Engineer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No. 6/16
Deadline: 31 August 2016
11. Position: Assistant / Associate Professor (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No. 01/16
Deadline: 30 September 2016