WEEK #12: 21 – 27 March 2016
In this issue:
THAILAND RESEARCH FUND (TRF) CROWNED AIT TOP IN THAILAND IN ITS UNIVERSITY RATINGS
Dear Members of AIT Community
As an international postgraduate only institute, AIT is not eligible to participate in the 3 renowned world ranking systems (ARWU, THE, QS). Whenever a world ranking was announced, without AIT but with several local universities in the top 1,000, people assumed that AIT is now inferior to those universities.
I am pleased to inform you that today the truth is unveiled by the result of the official Thailand Research Fund (TRF) Rating of universities in Thailand, which was announced on March 1, 2016, before the audience of over 400 university scholars.
In the announcement, AIT, receives the top rating in 7 disciplines out of the 10 disciplines it participated.
In overall, among all participating 28 universities in 36 disciplines, AIT received the most number (5) of TRF Rating 5. Thus, a Grand Special Award was presented to AIT for bagging the most number of TRF Rating 5.
I was at the meeting to receive the official certificates at the awarding ceremony. A complimentary news headline highlighting AIT's achievement was extracted from this link:
In summary, AIT was rated top in the following disciplines.
(1) Civil and Infrastructure Engineering (TRF Rating 5)
(2) Industrial Systems Engineering (TRF Rating 5)
(3) ICT (TRF Rating 5)
(4) Energy (TRF Rating 5)
(5) Environmental Engineering & Management (TRF Rating 5)
(6) Regional & Rural Development Planning (TRF Rating 4.3)
(7) Aquaculture & Aquatic Resources Management (TRF Rating 4.0).
In addition to the certificates, TRF has pledged to provide a "Basic Research Development Fund" to all units with TRF Rating of 5.0. In the previous round of similar exercise, which AIT was not invited, TRF awarded each Rating 5.0 unit with a matching fund of 6 million Baht for 3 years.
I would like to recognize that this well-earned accolade is a result of hard work and dedication of our faculty and research staff. We should also appreciate the supports of all VPs and Deans, and especially Mr. Gopi Krishna who helped coordinate with TRF.
With kind regards,
Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
P.S. The TRF Rating aims to evaluate the quality and impact of research discipline-wise, based on 4 important parameters of equal weights: (1) Total publication (of top quality equivalence); (2) Publication per faculty headcount; (3) Total citations; and (4) Citations per faculty headcount.
AIT Research Competition 2016
Deadline for submission of idea for the AIT Research Competition 2016 is on 25 March 2016.
The competition is open to AIT students, staff, faculty, recent graduates and is intended to promote innovation and collaboration amongst AIT researchers, industries, and development sectors.
All successful submissions will be displayed during the Collaboration for Innovation event on 12-13 May 2016. The winners will gain the opportunity to present their concepts and proposals at the event and interact with important representatives from various sectors. Also, the top three participants will be awarded with a cash prize of THB 10,000, THB 5,000 and THB 3,000 respectively.
For further information, please watch the following videos of the Forum held on 8 March 2016 focusing on the objectives, benefits, and the procedures for the AIT Research Competition 2016.
Call for Ideas: AIT Research Competition 2016
Do you have a research / business idea that has the potential to be a scalable solution?
Your idea could be exactly what the industry/ society is looking for.
Join the AIT Research Competition 2016, a platform for AIT researchers to develop their research / business idea to scalable solutions by working with industry experts and venture capitalists. Winners will have the opportunity to access adequate funds, technical assistance, and guidance required to bring your innovative ideas to life.
Focus areas include: Energy Efficiency/ Green Energy; Food and Agriculture; Infrastructure, Housing, Disaster Risk Reduction; Logistics and Supply Chain Management; Robotics and Automation; Software and IT.
For further information, please contact program coordinators:
Over Stay of Non-Thai Nationals / Latest Information
A new order from the Thai Immigration Bureau regarding the ineligibility for admission of non-Thai nationals will be enforced from March 20, 2016. The details of the new order with regard to the over stay of Non-Thai nationals in the Kingdom of Thailand are as follows:
1. In case of Surrender:
1.1 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 90 days will be barred from re-entering the country for 1 year, from the date of departure.
1.2 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 1 year will be barred from re-entering the country for 3 years, from the date of departure.
1.3 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 3 years will be barred from re-entering the country for 5 years, from the date of departure.
1.4 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 5 years will be barred from re-entering the country for 10 years, from the date of departure.
2. In case of being arrested and prosecuted:
2.1 A non- Thai national who is caught overstaying his/her permission by less than 1 year will be barred from re-entering the country for 5 years, from the date of departure.
2.2 A non- Thai national who is caught overstaying his/her permission by more than 1 year will be barred from re-entering the country for 10 years, from the date of departure.
3. These rules are not applied to:
3.1 A non- Thai national who departs the country before the age of 18.
3.2 A non- Thai national who departs the country before the enforcement of this law.
New Administrative Officer at MCU
We welcome Ms Leela Sattayamas as the new Administrative Officer at the Media and Communications Unit.
Leela (you can also call her by her nickname, Lyra) joined AIT on 7 March 2016. She replaces Khun Smita who has now moved to the Office of the President.
She has a Bachelor's degree in Law from Thammasat University, and is currently pursuing her Master's thesis in Gender studies. She has worked at Thai Netizen as a correspondent, and at the Friedrich Naumann Foundation.
Her coordinates at MCU are:
Ms Leela Sattayamas
PSA Cultural Exhibition on Pakistan Day
Pakistan Student Association at Asian Institute of Technology (PSA-AIT) is celebrating Pakistan Resolution Day on March 22, 2016 from 11am to 5pm in Korea House. In the event, PSA is organizing cultural exhibition, showcasing cultures of different provinces, traditional dresses, different exports such as jewelry, sports equipment, and handmade mats) of Pakistan. A short video in the honor of the armed forces and the beautiful places of Pakistan will be screened during the said event.
PSA-AIT is expecting delegates from Pakistan Embassy, Bangkok and Overseas Pakistan Association (OPA) in Thailand, around 12:30pm.
Trial of Knovel to be extended to 30 April 2016
Please be informed that Knovel, engineering information database will be extended to 30 April 2016.
For more information, please visit the Library's website at this URL: http://188.8.131.52/trialdatabases.htm .
Give away free booth during Career Fair 30 Mar 2016
The AIT Career Fair will be held on 30 March 2016. It is a good opportunity for AIT students to explore and connect with business firms.
With the support of Career Center, there are available spaces which have been given away as first come first serve. To make an event fascinating, you can sell things, show some works/cultures, or playing games. This is open for everyone not limited to only AITians. External parties can be invited to join the events as well.
To make a reservation, please contact Khun Carla or Khun King at Career Center, Admin Building. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A total of 200 THB has to be made as a deposit and will be refunded after the event.
Looking forward to see some fancy ideas and thank you for your kind support.
Ongoing construction projects on campus
Kindly be informed about the following ongoing construction projects on campus.
1. As part of the water supply system improvement project, the construction of a new water storage tank with a volume of 700 m3 near to the Physical Plant building has started. We also plan to lay a new main water pipe line from golf course to the new storage tank and automatic control valves to maintain the pressure, which is scheduled to start from 15 February 2016. The water supply system improvement project is scheduled to be completed before April 2016.
2. We are also glad to inform the campus community that a new coffee shop managed by Inthanin Coffee will be opened near the library to serve AIT community. Kindly be informed that the construction of the coffee shop has started, near the path way from library to the SU snack bar. The construction of the coffee shop is scheduled to be completed before April 2016.
During this period the community may experience some loud noise, dust and disturbance on the path way. Your kind understamding is highly appreciated.
Office of Facilities and Asset Management (OFAM)
CAREER FAIR & SU RESEARCH EXHIBITION!
28 ORGANIZATIONS TO MEET @ THE AIT CAREER FAIR
30 March 2016, AIT Conference Center
Twenty-eight (28) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 30 March 2016 from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. at the AIT Conference Center.
AIT community are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
CAREER TALK Schedule:
¤ OTV Career Talk on 22 March 2016 (Tues), 4:00 - 5:00 pm, SOM Bldg.
¤ Black and Veatch Career Talk on 23 March 2016 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:00 pm, TV Lounge, AITCC
CAREER FAIR COMPANIES attending AIT Career Fair are as follows:
1. TEAM Consulting Engg and Mgt Co. Ltd. – engineering consulting services
2. Parker Bridge RecuitmentCo. Ltd.- professional recruitment agency
3. Supalai PCL – real estate development operator (FIRST TIMER)
4. Siam Makro Co. Ltd. – wholesale center for professional business operators
5. Cal-comp Electronics Thailand PCL – electronics manufacturing services (ems) business
6. Bangchak Petroleum PCL – petroleum services provider
7. Agoda Services Co.Ltd. - one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms worldwide
8. Chia Tai Co. Ltd. - pioneer seed business producer
9. NSF Asia-Pacific Co. Ltd. – public health and safety company
10. MACkerel Engineering Co. Ltd. – engineering services company for maintenance in industry, pipeline as well as cathodic protection
11. Ozaki Consulting Co. Ltd. - human resource solutions company
12. Italthai Engineering Co.Ltd. - leading experienced engineering contractor
13. Index International Group Co. Ltd. (INDEX) – engineering consultancy firm
14. Boon Rawd Brewery Co. Ltd. - Thailand’s first brewery
15. Lanna Engineering Consulting Co. Ltd.- engineering consulting firm (FIRST TIMER)
16. Axentel Thailand Co. Ltd. - IT services company (FIRST TIMER)
17. BRF Global Singapore – one of the giants of the global food market (FIRST TIMER)
18. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. – engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
19. Mitrphol Sugar Corp. Ltd. - producer of Mitrphol sugar
20. CMO PCL - provider of turnkey integrated marketing communication solutions
21. Prominent Fluid Controls Thailand Co. PCL - supplier of chemical dosing and control stations and water treatment systems
22. M Water Co. Ltd. - producer of Sprinkle water
23. Pylon PCL - specialty foundation construction company
24. Tipco Asphalt PCL - manufacturer and distributor of asphalt products
25. RJC Soft SLR - Italy-based international provider of consultant support in the field of information technology (FIRST TIMER)
26. Dutch Mill PCL - one of Thailand's largest manufacturers and marketers of dairy products
27. Thai Reinsurance PCL - one of the biggest reinsurance providers in Thailand (FIRST TIMER)
28. VSO PCL - world's leading international development organization that uses volunteers to fight poverty and reduce inequality (FIRST TIMER)
WHAT TO EXPECT:
¤ Long-term career prospects
¤ Job placements
¤ Internship opportunities
¤ On-the-job training
¤ Research partners
¤ Networking with company representatives
¤ AIT Student Union (AIT-SU) sponsored RESEARCH EXHIBITION showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research at the AITCC Lobby
¤ Variety of food and drinks sold outside the AIT Conference Center
Note: Stalls for free to those interested to rent for selling refreshments/lunch and provide games outside! just contact us!
¤ AND Goodies ! free stationery, bags and a lot more!
CAREER CENTER WEBSITE SPONSOR Company: PKE Conveyor
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.asia
or check: http://www.facebook.com/aitcareercenter
or email: email@example.com
or contact us via phone: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
12th NSTDA Annual Conference
NSTDA will organize its 12th Annual Conference ‘NAC2016’ to be held from 30 March – 2 April 2016 at Thailand’s Science Park, Paholyothin, Pathumthani.
Interested persons, please apply online from now on or contact NSTDA’s call center at 0-2564-8000 / email : firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Admission.
More details: http://www.nstda.or.th/nac2016/
Miss Aye Sandar Phyo / Australia / 6 – 23 March 2016
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / India and U.K. / 7 – 21 March 2016
Prof. Kanchana Kanchanasut / Trieste, Italy / 12 – 21 March 2016
Prof. Mukand Singh Babel / Antalya, Turkey / 16 – 22 March 2016
Guilberto Borongan / Bandung and Bali, Indonesia / 17 – 26 March 2016
Ms. Bernadeth Lim / Bandung and Bali, Indonesia / 17 – 26 March 2016
Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Vietnam / 18 – 20 March 2016*
Mr. Jakkapon Phanthuwongpakdee / Ubon Ratchathani and Nokhon Phanom, Thailand / 18 – 24 March 2016
Dr. Oleg Shipin / Ubonrachathani and Nakhon Phanom, Thailand / 18 – 27 March 2016
Mrs. Eaindra Theint Theint Thu / Yangon, Myanmar / 19 – 27 March 2016
Dr. Sundar Venkatesh / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 20 – 22 March 2016
Ms. Kluaymai Thongkham / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 20 – 22 March 2016
Dr. Clemens M. Grunbuhel / Yangon, Myanmar / 20 – 24 March 2016
Mr. Norman Del Mundo Alcoba / Jeju, South Korea / 20 – 25 March 2016
Prakriti Kashyap / Jeju, Korea / 20 – 25 March 2016
Miss Soe Soe Htway / Yangon, Myanar / 20 – 27 March 2016
Dr. Sarawut Ninsawut / Cangshan Fuzhou Fujian, P.R. China / 21 – 23 March 2016
Dr. Jonathan Shaw / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 21 – 25 March 2016
Ms. Phyu Sin / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 21 – 26 March 2016
Dr. Victor Shinde / Nakhon Phanom Thailand / 22 – 23 March 2016
Dr. Donna L. Doane / Yangon, Myanmar / 22 – 24 March 2016
Dr. Anil Kumar Anal / Songkla, Thailand / 23 – 24 March 2016
Dr. Nophea Sasaki / Cambodia / 23 – 25 March 2016
Prof. Mukand Singh Babel / Kyoto, Japan / 23 – 27 March 2016
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / Kathmandu, Nepal / 24 – 26 March 2016
Ms. Parichart Khammeerak / Tha Luang, Lopburi / 24 – 27 March 2016
Mr. Syed Muntasir Husain Bokhari / Bali, Indonesia / 26 March – 9 April 2016
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Administrative Officer (Center for Excellence in Nanotechnology)
Ref no: 08/16
Deadline: March 23, 2016
Senior Structural Engineer
Ref. No: 05/16
Deadline: 24 March 2016
Structural/Project Engineer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No: 06/16
Deadline: 24 March 2016
Administrative Secretary (School of Management) Ref. No: 10/16
Deadline: 29 March 2016
Assistant Program Officer (School of Management)
Ref. No: 11/16
Deadline: 29 March 2016
Assistant / Associate Professor (IME) (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No: Fac 09/15
Deadline: 31 March 2016
Business Development Officer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No: 09/16
Deadline: 31 March 2016
Assistant or Associate Professor Positions (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref No: 7/15
Deadline: 30 April 2016
Head, Human Resources Office (Human Resources Office)
Ref no: 7/16
Deadline: April 30, 2016
Assistant or Associate Professors Positions (School of Management)
Ref. No: Fac 5/15
Deadline: 30 June 2016