WEEK #11, 14 – 20 March 2016
In this issue:
THAILAND RESEARCH FUND (TRF) CROWNED AIT TOP IN THAILAND IN ITS UNIVERSITY RATINGS
Dear Members of AIT Community
As an international postgraduate only institute, AIT is not eligible to participate in the 3 renowned world ranking systems (ARWU, THE, QS). Whenever a world ranking was announced, without AIT but with several local universities in the top 1,000, people assumed that AIT is now inferior to those universities.
I am pleased to inform you that today the truth is unveiled by the result of the official Thailand Research Fund (TRF) Rating of universities in Thailand, which was announced on March 1, 2016, before the audience of over 400 university scholars.
In the announcement, AIT, receives the top rating in 7 disciplines out of the 10 disciplines it participated.
In overall, among all participating 28 universities in 36 disciplines, AIT received the most number (5) of TRF Rating 5. Thus, a Grand Special Award was presented to AIT for bagging the most number of TRF Rating 5.
I was at the meeting to receive the official certificates at the awarding ceremony. A complimentary news headline highlighting AIT's achievement was extracted from this link:
In summary, AIT was rated top in the following disciplines.
(1) Civil and Infrastructure Engineering (TRF Rating 5)
(2) Industrial Systems Engineering (TRF Rating 5)
(3) ICT (TRF Rating 5)
(4) Energy (TRF Rating 5)
(5) Environmental Engineering & Management (TRF Rating 5)
(6) Regional & Rural Development Planning (TRF Rating 4.3)
(7) Aquaculture & Aquatic Resources Management (TRF Rating 4.0).
In addition to the certificates, TRF has pledged to provide a "Basic Research Development Fund" to all units with TRF Rating of 5.0. In the previous round of similar exercise, which AIT was not invited, TRF awarded each Rating 5.0 unit with a matching fund of 6 million Baht for 3 years.
I would like to recognize that this well-earned accolade is a result of hard work and dedication of our faculty and research staff. We should also appreciate the supports of all VPs and Deans, and especially Mr. Gopi Krishna who helped coordinate with TRF.
With kind regards,
Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
P.S. The TRF Rating aims to evaluate the quality and impact of research discipline-wise, based on 4 important parameters of equal weights: (1) Total publication (of top quality equivalence); (2) Publication per faculty headcount; (3) Total citations; and (4) Citations per faculty headcount.
Call for Ideas: AIT Research Competition 2016
Do you have a research / business idea that has the potential to be a scalable solution?
Your idea could be exactly what the industry/ society is looking for.
Join the AIT Research Competition 2016, a platform for AIT researchers to develop their research / business idea to scalable solutions by working with industry experts and venture capitalists. Winners will have the opportunity to access adequate funds, technical assistance, and guidance required to bring your innovative ideas to life.
Focus areas include: Energy Efficiency/ Green Energy; Food and Agriculture; Infrastructure, Housing, Disaster Risk Reduction; Logistics and Supply Chain Management; Robotics and Automation; Software and IT.
For further information, please contact program coordinators:
Social Security Hospitals for 2016
Members of Social Security who would like to change their registered hospital, please contact HRO within 15 March 2016.
Please note that Camillion Hospital is no longer in the Social Security list of participating hospitals. For those registered in this hospital please contact HRO to register the hospital of your choice.
Human Resources Office
Give away free booth during Career Fair 30 Mar 2016
The AIT Career Fair will be held on 30 March 2016. It is a good opportunity for AIT students to explore and connect with business firms.
With the support of Career Center, there are available spaces which have been given away as first come first serve. To make an event fascinating, you can sell things, show some works/cultures, or playing games. This is open for everyone not limited to only AITians. External parties can be invited to join the events as well.
To make a reservation, please contact Khun Carla or Khun King at Career Center, Admin Building. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A total of 200 THB has to be made as a deposit and will be refunded after the event.
If you need more details or have any questions, please feel free to reach SU External Affairs at
Email: email@example.com and
Looking forward to see some fancy ideas and thank you for your kind support.
Promotional activity of Emerald
Emerald has arranged a promotional activity called RESCUE ME and would like to invite you to participate to find the dragons in the AIT Library from now to 15 March 2016. Two winners will get Lomo Paper Camera.
To join the activity, just do the following.
1) Find dragons in the AIT Library
2) Take 4 pictures of the dragons you have rescued
3) Go to see the Librarian on duty at the Circulation counter to have a Surprise Gift
4) Post on instagram#egpdragon#AIT
Have fun in finding the dragons in the Library!
Ongoing construction projects on campus
Kindly be informed about the following ongoing construction projects on campus.
1. As part of the water supply system improvement project, the construction of a new water storage tank with a volume of 700 m3 near to the Physical Plant building has started. We also plan to lay a new main water pipe line from golf course to the new storage tank and automatic control valves to maintain the pressure, which is scheduled to start from 15 February 2016. The water supply system improvement project is scheduled to be completed before April 2016.
2. We are also glad to inform the campus community that a new coffee shop managed by Inthanin Coffee will be opened near the library to serve AIT community. Kindly be informed that the construction of the coffee shop has started, near the path way from library to the SU snack bar. The construction of the coffee shop is scheduled to be completed before April 2016.
During this period the community may experience some loud noise, dust and disturbance on the path way. Your kind understamding is highly appreciated.
Office of Facilities and Asset Management (OFAM)
TOEIC test at AIT
The AIT Career Center will again organize the TOEIC test on 17 March 2016 from 08:00 - 12:00 hrs. at the Milton Bender Auditorium, AIT.
The TOEIC test questions are based on real-life work settings in an international environment (meetings, travel, telephone conversations, etc). The Test is used by organizations to determine whether an employee is suitable for a particular task. If you work or want to work for a large organization, particularly in Asia, then the TOEIC test will be useful to you.
The schedule of registration, payment method, confirmation of payment and TOEIC preparation course are given below:
1-14 March 2016 Online Registration & Payment for TOEIC Test
Payment (by cash) at Career Center Office thru Ms.Chatchata , AIT Admin Building (beside Registry) during office hours
17 March 2016 : TOEIC Test at the Milton Bender Auditorium from 08:00 - 12:00 hrs.
The price for students is 700 baht (from 1,500) and for current AIT staff is 1,000 baht (from 1,500).
Please note that a minimum of 25 students is needed for this test to be administered in AIT.
To register for the test:
Dr. Chuenchom Chueluecha (Rehabilitation Physician) will be on leave
Dr. Chuenchom Chueluecha (Rehabilitation Physician) will be on leave on Friday, 18 March 2016. For those who have appointments with her please re-schedule accordingly. Other services will be available as usual.
Close Swimming Pool on 14 - 16 March 2016
Please be informed that the swimming pool will be closed on 14-16 March 2016 at 16.00 pm - 18.00 pm for student activity “Mini Olympic”.
Lost and Found
A guest, EI THEINGI from Myanmar, who is staying at the AIT Conference Center has lost her wallet. Anyone who found her wallet, please contact AIT Conference Center.
CdTe Photovoltaics for Sustainable Electricity Generation
A Seminar on “CdTe Photovoltaics for Sustainable Electricity Generation” will be delivered by Prof. W.S. Sampath, currently a Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Colorado State University & Site Director of the NSF Industry University Cooperative, Research Center for next Generation Photovoltaic
Date : Wednesday, 16th March 2016
Time : 10:00am - 11:30pm
Venue : ET108, Energy Building
AIT CAREER FAIR & SU RESEARCH EXHIBITION!
24 ORGANIZATIONS TO MEET @ THE AIT CAREER FAIR
30 March 2016, AIT Conference Center
Twenty-four (24) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 30 March 2016 from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. at the AIT Conference Center.
AIT community are invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
A brief profile of the companies that are attending our Fair for the very first time are given below:
1. Supalai PCL – real estate development operator
2. Lanna Engineering Consulting Co. Ltd.- engineering consulting firm
3. Axentel Thailand Co. Ltd. - IT services company
4. BRF Global Singapore – one of the giants of the global food market
The above companies are now joining the list with:
1. TEAM Consulting Engg and Mgt Co. Ltd. – engineering consulting services
2. Parker Bridge RecuitmentCo. Ltd.- professional recruitment agency
3. Siam Makro Co. Ltd. – wholesale center for professional business operators
4. Cal-comp Electronics Thailand PCL – electronics manufacturing services (ems) business
5. Bangchak Petroleum PCL – petroleum services provider
6. Agoda Services Co.Ltd. - one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms worldwide
7. Chia Tai Co. Ltd. - pioneer seed business Producer
8. NSF Asia-Pacific Co. Ltd. – public health and safety company
9. MACkerel Engineering Co. Ltd. – engineering services company for maintenance in industry, pipeline as well as cathodic protection
10. Ozaki Consulting Co. Ltd. - human resource solutions company
11. Italthai Engineering Co.Ltd. - leading experienced engineering contractor
12. Index International Group Co. Ltd. (INDEX) – engineering consultancy firm
13. Boon Rawd Brewery Co. Ltd. - Thailand’s first brewery
14. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. – engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
15. Mitrphol Sugar Corp. Ltd. - producer of Mitrphol sugar
16. CMO PCL - provider of turnkey integrated marketing communication solutions
17. Prominent Fluid Controls Thailand Co. PCL - supplier of chemical dosing and control stations and water treatment systems
18. M Water Co. Ltd. - producer of Sprinkle water
19. Tipco Asphalt PCL - manufacturer and distributor of asphalt products
CAREER TALKS to be held on Wednesday afternoons:
¤ BRF Career Talk on 16 March 2016, Wed, 4:00 - 5:00 pm, B-108, AITCC
¤ Thai Reinsurance Career Talk on 17 March 2016, Wed, 4:00 - 5:00 pm, Lecture Rm. 1, SOM Bldg
¤ Black and Veatch Career Talk on 23 March 2016, Wed, 4:00 - 5:00 pm, TV Lounge, AITCC
WHAT TO EXPECT:
¤ Long-term career prospects
¤ Job placements
¤ Internship opportunities
¤ On-the-job training
¤ Research partners
¤ Networking with company representatives
¤ AIT Student Union (AIT-SU) sponsored RESEARCH EXHIBITION showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research at the AITCC Lobby
¤ Variety of food and drinks sold outside the AIT Conference Center
Note: Stalls for free to those interested to rent for selling refreshments/lunch and provide games! just contact AIT Career Center.
¤ AND Goodies! free stationery, bags and a lot more!
CAREER CENTER WEBSITE SPONSOR Company: PKE Conveyor
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.asia
or check: http://www.facebook.com/aitcareercenter
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or calling: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
Dr. Naveed Anwar / Kathmandu, Nepal / 1 – 5 March 2016*
Mr. MD. Zia Islam / Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, Thailand / 6 – 8 March 2016*
Ms. Thaniya Jirasathitpornpong / Manila, Philippines / 6 – 15 March 2016
Miss Aye Sandar Phyo / Australia / 6 – 23 March 2016
Miss Siriporn Nanthasing / Phitsanulok, Thailand / 7- 8 March 2016*
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / India and U.K. / 7 – 21 March 2016
Dr. Punchet Thammarak / Chiang Mai, Thailand / 8 March 2016
Dr. Vilas Nitivattananon / Chiangmai, Thailand / 8 March 2016*
Dr. Sarawut Ninsawat / Khon Kaen, Thailand / 10 March 2016*
Prof. J. K. Routray / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 10 – 14 March 2016
Dr. Shinichi Nakamura / Chiang Mai, Thailand / 11 – 14 March 2016
Prof. Kanchana Kanchanasut / Trieste, Italy / 12 – 21 March 2016
Mr. Agus Susanto Prajogo / Manila, Philippines / 13 – 19 March 2016
Ms. Nalinee Kongkerd / Chiang Mai / 13 – 15 March 2016
Ms. Narumon Wangnai / Chiang Mai / 13 – 15 March 2016
Mr. Vorate Chonlasin / Chiang Mai / 13 – 15 March 2016
Dr. Soparth Pongquan / Khon Kaen, Thailand / 14 – 15 March 2016
Dr. P. Abdul Salam / Chiang Mai, Thailand / 14 – 19 March 2016
Mr. Fazle Karim / Manila, Philippines / 15 – 19 March 2016
Prof. Mukand Singh Babel / Antalya, Turkey / 16 – 22 March 2016
Prof. C. Visvanathan / Mumbai, India / 17 – 19 March 2016
Dr. Indrajit Pal / Penang, Malaysia / 17 – 19 March 2016
Dr. Weerakorn Ongsakul / Kunming, PRC / 17 – 20 March 2016
Guilberto Borongan / Bandung and Bali, Indonesia / 17 – 26 March 2016
Ma. Bernadeth Lim / Bandung and Bali, Indonesia / 17 – 26 March 2016
Mr. Norman Del Mundo Alcoba / Jeju, South Korea / 20 – 25 March 2016
Prakriti Kashyap / Jeju, Korea / 20 – 25 March 2016
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Administrative Officer (Center for Excellence in Nanotechnology)
Ref no: 08/16
Deadline: March 23, 2016
Senior Structural Engineer
Ref. No: 05/16
Deadline: 24 March 2016
Structural/Project Engineer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No: 06/16
Deadline: 24 March 2016
Assistant / Associate Professor (IME) (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No: Fac 09/15
Deadline: 31 March 2016
Business Development Officer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No: 09/16
Deadline: 31 March 2016
Head, Human Resources Office (Human Resources Office)
Ref no: 7/16
Deadline: April 30, 2016
Assistant or Associate Professors Positions (School of Management)
Ref. No: Fac 5/15
Deadline: 30 June 2016