WEEK #13: 28 March – 3 April 2016
In this issue:
Confirmed AIT Management Notes, 3 March 2016
Please be informed that the confirmed notes of the 3 March 2016 meeting of the AIT Management are now Intranet-published at AIT Management Confirmed Meeting Notes: http://www.ait.ac.th/management/aitmt-notes/confirmed-aitmt-notes/document_view#.Vu-3B8v-IdU
2016 QS World University Ranking by Subject - Results
On 22 March 2016, the QS World University Ranking by Subject has released its 2016 ranking outcome which reveals that AIT is world ranked in 3 subject areas:
(1) Civil and Structural Engineering at 151-200 (same as last year 151-200);
(2) Environmental Sciences at 201-250 (drop from last year 151-200);
(3) Computer Science and Information Systems at 351-400 (last year 301-400)
However, AIT dropped from the World Ranking in "Electric and Electronic" which AIT ranked 251-300 last year. This might be because of the drop in Microelectronics field.
The following statement came with the notification from QS to AIT last week:
“Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand now features amongst the world's elite institutions in 3 of the 42 subjects featured in this year's QS World University Rankings by Subject.”
Three components are combined to produce the results in each subject.
1. Academic reputation
QS’s global survey has been at the heart of the QS World University Rankings®. In 2015, the QS World University Rankings by Subject drew on responses from 85,062 academics worldwide. The survey results are filtered according to the reputed area of expertise identified by respondents.
2. Employer reputation
The QS incorporated employability as a key factor in the evaluation of international universities. In 2015, the QS World University Rankings by Subject drew on 41,910 survey responses from graduate employers worldwide. Employers are asked to identify up to 10 domestic and 30 international institutions they consider excellent for the recruitment of graduates. After examining where these two questions intersect, QS can infer a measure of excellence in a given discipline.
3. Research citations per paper
The QS World University Rankings by Subject measures citations per paper rather than per faculty member. All citations data is sourced from Scopus. Since 2013, QS also uses a score based on ‘h-index’ in its QS World University Rankings by Subject. The h-index is a way of measuring both the productivity and impact of the published work of a scientist or scholar.
Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
Asian Institute of Technology
UIA charge rates for faculty and staff
The AIT IT Committee annually evaluates the Internet service charges to your residences which can be considered as an equivalent of a home user account in the commercial market. The Committee has made a decision to keep our Unlimited Internet Access (UIA) rate to be comparable to the rates in the market per home users which are currently around 700-800 Thai Baht (THB) a month for less capacity than what you are getting in AIT. The committee has decided to apply the same rate of 600 B a month to all staff and faculty accounts and the decision has now been endorsed by AIT Management (Please refer to AITMT meeting Minutes of 3 March 2016, Section 6.6 which has been circulated earlier.)
The rate is to be applied as of March 2016.
Prof. Kanchana Kanchanasut
Vice President for Research and Chair of IT Committee
Erasmus+ : Faculty / Individual Capacity Building Opportunities
ERASMUS+ is the new framework funded by European Commission and integrates earlier European Programs such as Lifelong Learning, Tempus, Alfa, Edu Link and ERAMUS MUNDUS. Erasmus+ covers many actions (mobility and capacity building related), but not research activities (research is funded by the Horizon 2020).
The possibilities for AIT participating in Erasmus+ are primarily in Key Actions 1 and 2 – mobility of students/faculty/staff; capacity building and curricula development related; and exchange of good practices.
Since we would need partners for this collaboration, one possibility is to make use of the PANACEA consortium (listed in Annex 2: Panacea Partners, who are keen to partner for both Key Actions 1 and 2 with AIT in the Erasmus+. The PANACEA Consortium was an Erasmus Mundus project (2012 – 2016) that was coordinated by University of Montpellier 2 in France in which AIT was the Joint Coordinator.
So, if you would like to collaborate under the Erasmus+ with any of the Panacea partners or if you plan to submit a proposal in order to receive funding from EU, or for any additional information, please find the necessary details on Information of Applicants in this link: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/documents/erasmus-plus-programme-guide_en.pdf and/or please contact Ms. Carol Guzman of the External Relations and Communications Office (ERCO) at: 02-524-6299 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
With best wishes
Prof. S. Kumar
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Attractive Opportunities for researchers
A number of attractive opportunities for researchers are presented in the latest EURAXESS ASEAN.
1. Advancing your Research Career: Funding and Fellowship Opportunities Open to ASEAN Researchers. Workshops in Hanoi on May 11 and Bangkok May 13.
2. France - ERCIM – Alain Bensoussan Fellowships in Computer Science, Information Technology, and Applied Mathematics Open to ASEAN Researchers
3. MSCA RISE Call Open to Universities and Research Institutes in ASEAN.
4. MSCA Individual Fellowships to Conduct Research in Europe. Open to Researchers in ASEAN
Sign up to EURAXESS Links ASEAN here:
Deadline Extended until 31 March for AIT Research Competition
On the request of many individuals, the submission deadline for the AIT research competition has been extended to 31 March 2016.
For those who are interested to join, please download the attached competition template and submit your entries on/or before 31 March to email@example.com cc: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
All successful submissions will gain the opportunity to present their concepts and proposals at the Collaboration for Innovation event on 12-13 May 2016 and interact with important representatives from various sectors will be displayed during the. In addition to the adequate technical and financial assistance to incubate the ideas, the top three participants will receive THB 10,000, THB 5,000 and THB 3,000, respectively.
For further information, please watch the videos of the Forum held on 8 March 2016 focusing on the objectives, benefits, and the procedures for the AIT Research Competition 2016.
Over Stay of Non-Thai Nationals / Latest Information
A new order from the Thai Immigration Bureau regarding the ineligibility for admission of non-Thai nationals will be enforced from March 20, 2016. The details of the new order with regard to the over stay of Non-Thai nationals in the Kingdom of Thailand are as follows:
1. In case of Surrender:
1.1 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 90 days will be barred from re-entering the country for 1 year, from the date of departure.
1.2 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 1 year will be barred from re-entering the country for 3 years, from the date of departure.
1.3 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 3 years will be barred from re-entering the country for 5 years, from the date of departure.
1.4 A non- Thai national overstaying his/her permission by more than 5 years will be barred from re-entering the country for 10 years, from the date of departure.
2. In case of being arrested and prosecuted:
2.1 A non- Thai national who is caught overstaying his/her permission by less than 1 year will be barred from re-entering the country for 5 years, from the date of departure.
2.2 A non- Thai national who is caught overstaying his/her permission by more than 1 year will be barred from re-entering the country for 10 years, from the date of departure.
3. These rules are not applied to:
3.1 A non- Thai national who departs the country before the age of 18.
3.2 A non- Thai national who departs the country before the enforcement of this law.
Trial of Knovel to be extended to 30 April 2016
Please be informed that Knovel, engineering information database will be extended to 30 April 2016.
For more information, please visit the Library's website at this URL: http://188.8.131.52/trialdatabases.htm .
Give away free booth during Career Fair 30 Mar 2016
The AIT Career Fair will be held on 30 March 2016. It is a good opportunity for AIT students to explore and connect with business firms.
With the support of Career Center, there are available spaces which have been given away as first come first serve. To make an event fascinating, you can sell things, show some works/cultures, or playing games. This is open for everyone not limited to only AITians. External parties can be invited to join the events as well.
To make a reservation, please contact Khun Carla or Khun King at Career Center, Admin Building. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A total of 200 THB has to be made as a deposit and will be refunded after the event.
Looking forward to see some fancy ideas and thank you for your kind support.
Ongoing construction projects on campus
Kindly be informed about the following ongoing construction projects on campus.
1. As part of the water supply system improvement project, the construction of a new water storage tank with a volume of 700 m3 near to the Physical Plant building has started. We also plan to lay a new main water pipe line from golf course to the new storage tank and automatic control valves to maintain the pressure. The water supply system improvement project is scheduled to be completed before April 2016.
2. We are also glad to inform the campus community that a new coffee shop managed by Inthanin Coffee will be opened near the library to serve AIT community. Kindly be informed that the construction of the coffee shop has started, near the path way from library to the SU snack bar. The construction of the coffee shop is scheduled to be completed before April 2016.
During this period the community may experience some loud noise, dust and disturbance on the path way. Your kind understamding is highly appreciated.
Office of Facilities and Asset Management (OFAM)
Vacant Restaurant (Near Golf Course Hole No. 3) Available for Lease
A vacant restaurant located near Golf Course Hole No. 3 is now available for lease. Interested parties are invited to submit your proposals within 3.30p.m., Tuesday, 05 April, 2016 at OPIA (Purchasing Office).
For Bid information and submission: Pakkamol: Tel - 02524 5029, email@example.com
For Space information & requirements: Elizabeth: Tel - 02524 6323, firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Counter available for rent
Food Counter No. 5 in the AIT Cafeteria is available for food providers.
Interested parties are invited to submit your proposals by hand or email to the Purchasing Office (email@example.com not later than 3.30p.m. on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016.
For Bid information and submission, contact Khun Pakkamol: Tel -02524 5029, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Space information & requirement, contact Khun Elizabeth: Tel -02524 6323, email@example.com
AIT CAREER FAIR & RESEARCH EXHIBITION!
30 March 2016
9:00 am - 5:00 pm, AIT Conference Center
34 companies have signed up for the upcoming Career Fair slated on 30 March 2016 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the AIT Conference Center!
Ten of these companies are first-timers, as follows:
1. Supalai PCL - with Career Talk TODAY, 28 March, by EVP Khun Ajchara Tangmatitham, 4:00 pm, B-206, AITCC!
2. Lanna Engineering Co. Ltd.
3. Axentel Thailand Co. Ltd.
4. RJC Soft BRL
5. Thai Reinsurance PCL
6. VSO PCL
8. Think Blue Data Co. Ltd.
9. Feed Ingredients TBG (CP Group)
10. Site Preparation Management Co. Ltd. (SITEM)
CAREER FAIR COMPANIES that are attending our Fair are given below:
1. TEAM Consulting Engg and Mgt Co. Ltd. – engineering consulting services
2. Parker Bridge RecuitmentCo. Ltd.- professional recruitment agency
3. Supalai PCL – real estate development operator
4. Siam Makro Co. Ltd. – wholesale center for professional business operators
5. Cal-comp Electronics Thailand PCL – electronics manufacturing services (ems) business
6. Bangchak Petroleum PCL – petroleum services provider
7. Agoda Services Co.Ltd. - one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms worldwide
8. Chia Tai Co. Ltd. - pioneer seed business producer
9. NSF Asia-Pacific Co. Ltd. – public health and safety company
10. MACkerel Engineering Co. Ltd. – engineering services company
11. Ozaki Consulting Co. Ltd. - human resource solutions company
12. Italthai Engineering Co.Ltd. - leading experienced engineering contractor
13. Index International Group Co. Ltd. (INDEX) – engineering consultancy firm
14. Boon Rawd Brewery Co. Ltd. - Thailand’s first brewery
15. Lanna Engineering Consulting Co. Ltd.- engineering consulting firm
16. Axentel Thailand Co. Ltd. - IT services company
17. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. – engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
18. Mitrphol Sugar Corp. Ltd. - world's fourth largest sugar producer
19. CMO PCL - provider of turnkey integrated marketing communication solutions
20. Prominent Fluid Controls Thailand Co. PCL - supplier of chemical dosing and water treatment systems
21. M Water Co. Ltd. - producer of Sprinkle water
22. Pylon PCL - specialty foundation construction company
23. Tipco Asphalt PCL - manufacturer and distributor of asphalt products
24. RJC Soft SRL - Italy-based international IT consultancy
25. Dutch Mill PCL - one of Thailand's largest manufacturers and marketers of dairy products
26. Thai Reinsurance PCL - one of the biggest reinsurance providers in Thailand
27. VSO PCL - world's leading development NGO
28. Gemcity Engineering and Manufacturing Co. Ltd. - designer and manufacturer of electrical/mechanical assemblies
29. Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) - international institution for the generation and application of early warning information
30. Think Blue Data (TBD) Co. Ltd. - software solutions for data visualization company
31. Double A (1991) PCL - leading pulp and paper manufacturing company in Thailand
32. SAMART Corporation PCL - provider of advanced ICT and Technology-related products and services
33. Feed Ingredients Trading Business Group (CP Group) -global agricultural commodity trading informational hub
34. Site Preparation Management Co. Ltd. (SITEM) - facility engineering design and management company
INTERVIEWS on Career Fair day by :
¤ Cal-Comp Electronics Thailand PCL
¤ Axentel Thailand Co. Ltd.
¤ Pylon PCL
¤ RJC Soft srl
Interview schedule will be set by the HR staffs of the respective companies.
1. PKE Conveyor
2. RJC Soft SRL
3. Thai Reinsurance Co. Ltd.
4. Samart Corporation PCL
¤ AIT Student Union (AIT-SU) sponsored RESEARCH EXHIBITION showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research at the AITCC Lobby
¤ Motivational Career Talk on “The Journey: From AIT to being an Entrepreneur, Investor, Advisor” by Mr. Avalur Madhu, AIT Alumnus, IE 1995 & Founder/CEO of Angaros Group, Singapore, Career Fair Day, 30 March, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m, B-108, AITCC
¤ Wide variety of nationality food and game stalls, drinks and personal accessories sold at special discounted rates outside the AIT Conference Center!
¤ AND Goodies ! free stationery, bags, pencil cases, shirts and a lot more!
Lastly, please do not forget to bring hard and soft copies of your CV and dress appropriately. It's your day...make an impression!!!
For more details of the companies coming, please visit: http://www.careercenter.ait.asia,
or check: http://www.facebook.com/aitcareercenter
or contact AIT Career Center via phone: 02-524-5064, 02-524-6744
or send email at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Perspectives on Mobile Health
A seminar on International Perspectives on Mobile Health will be organized at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) on 4 April 2016 from 14:00-16:00 hours at the Milton E. Bender Jr. Auditorium.
NSTDA Science and Technology Job Fair 2016
NSTDA will organize Science and Technology Job Fair 2016 as part of its Annual Conference (NAC 2016) from 31 March – 2 April 2016 at Sirindhorn Science Home, Thailand Science Park, NSTDA.
Other activities of the event include a seminar on “Study science-your better future starts here” (in Thai language) and a seminar on “Impressive image, great personal brand-the shortcut to success” (in Thai language) and the guidance of government science scholarships.
12th NSTDA Annual Conference
NSTDA will organize its 12th Annual Conference ‘NAC2016’ to be held from 30 March – 2 April 2016 at Thailand’s Science Park, Paholyothin, Pathumthani.
Interested persons, please apply online from now on or contact NSTDA’s call center at 0-2564-8000 / email : email@example.com. Free Admission.
More details: http://www.nstda.or.th/nac2016/
“Future Food—the Next for the Better Life” Exhibition
NSTDA’s Food Innovation Network will organize an exhibition, “Future Food—the Next for the Better Life” from 30 March – 2 April 2016 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Innovation Cluster 2: INC2, Thailand’s Science Park, NSTDA.
There will be the display of 25 booths from companies on food innovation and FIN Talk on direct experiences from the participating companies (in Thai).
More details: http://www.nstda.or.th/nac2016/fin
His Excellency Mr. Peter Prugel, Ambassador Extraordinary, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, Thailand / 5 April 2016 / to have a discussion with AIT President and to meet with AIT Master’s students who are DAAD Scholarship recipients
Mr. Arturo G. Roa / Chittagong, Bangladesh / 18 – 22 March 2016*
Dr. Gregory Chiu / Taipei, Taiwan and Hong Kong / 24 – 26 March 2016*
Dr. Kyoko Kusakabe / Lopburi, Thailand / 24 – 27 March 2016*
Dr. Shobhakar Dhakal / Tokyo, Japan / 24 – 29 March 2016
Mr. Voravate Chonlasin / Phuket, Thailand / 25 – 27 March 2016*
Ms. Worawan Sumroetrum / Phuket, Thailand / 25 – 27 March 2016*
Mr. Syed Muntasir Husain Bokhari / Bali, Indonesia / 26 March – 9 April 2016
Dr. Supat Wangwongwatana / Washington, D.C., U.S.A. / 27 March – 3 April 2016
Prof. Sivanappan Kumar / Jakarta, Indonesia / 28 – 29 March 2016
Dr. K. R. Salin / Thiruvannanthapuram, Kerala, India / 28 – 31 March 2016
Prakiti Kashyap / Ho Chi Minh and Da Nang, Vietnam / 28 March – 2 April 2016
Dr. Peeyush Soni / Puttrajaya, Malaysia / 29 – 30 March 2016
Dr. Kunnawee Kanitpong and Dr. Surachet Pravinvongvuth / Chiang Mai, Thailand / 29 March – 2 April 2016
Prof. Kazuo Yamamoto / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / 30 March – 2 April 2016
Mr. Sanjeev Pradeep Jayasinghe / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / 30 March – 2 April 2016
Prof. C. Visvanathan / Islamabad, Pakistan / 30 March – 3 April 2016
Dr. Philippe Doneys / Mae Sot, Thailand / 1 – 4 April 2016
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Administrative Secretary (School of Management) Ref. No: 10/16
Deadline: 29 March 2016
Assistant Program Officer (School of Management)
Ref. No: 11/16
Deadline: 29 March 2016
Assistant / Associate Professor (IME) (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No: Fac 09/15
Deadline: 31 March 2016
Business Development Officer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No: 09/16
Deadline: 31 March 2016
Senior Programme Specialist (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No: 12/16
Deadline: 10 April 2016
Administrative Secretary (School of Management)
Ref. No: 10/16
Deadline: 16 April 2016
Assistant Program Officer (School of Management)
Ref. No: 11/16
Deadline: 16 April 2016
Assistant or Associate Professor Positions (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref No: 7/15
Deadline: 30 April 2016
Head, Human Resources Office (Human Resources Office)
Ref no: 7/16
Deadline: April 30, 2016
Assistant or Associate Professors Positions (School of Management)
Ref. No: Fac 5/15
Deadline: 30 June 2016