WEEK #10: 5 - 11 March 2018
In this issue:
(i) AIT Newsletter: March 2018
Email from OMCO (1 Mar. 2018)
Dear students, faculty and staff members,
This month, the AIT Newsletter shares stories of the naming of the AIT auditorium and pays tribute to late President Robert B Banks. We also talk about the two lectures organized in honor of Prof Milton E Bender Jr and Dr. Thanat Khoman. Besides going down memory lane, we have a photo gallery of the Students' Union Cultural Show. Stories of faculty achievements, training programs and outreach, seminars and academic activities, along with CSR activities are the other highlights of the newsletter.
The PDF and EPUB (iOS, android) editions are attached with this newsletter. Kindle readers can download the newsletter from the AIT website.
Office of Media and Communications, AIT
(ii) Final Development : Attendance Report and it descriptions
Email from Interim Director - OHRS (23 Feb. 2018)
Please note that we will process payment just only employees who return the attendance report to OHRS on conditions as indicated below:
1. Effective date is from 16 March - 15 April 2018 (to be filled in the form)
2. Return this subject form to OHRS, not later than 17th of each month.
3. Direct supervisory position should delegate authority for signing the Attendance Report during his / her absent.
4. Staff of grade 1 to grade 7 are required to fill this Attendance Report.
5. All types of leave forms can submit to OHRS on regular basis.
Office of Human Resources Services
(iii) TOEIC test at AIT - 16 Mar. 2018
Email from AIT Career Center (5 Mar. 2018)
AIT Career Center is organizing the TOEIC Test on 16 March 2018 from 13:00 - 16:00 hrs at the Milton Bender Auditorium, AIT.
The TOEIC test questions are based on real-life work settings in an international environment (meetings, travel, telephone conversations, etc). The Test is used by organizations to determine whether an employee is suitable for a particular task. If you work or want to work for a large organization, particularly in Asia, then the TOEIC test will be useful to you.
The schedule of registration, payment method, confirmation of payment and TOEIC preparation course are given below:
Online Registration : 5 - 9 March 2018
Payment for TOEIC Test : 5 - 9 March 2018 (last day 9 March, 12 noon)
Payment (by cash) at Career Center thru Ms. Tiparatana , AIT Admin Building during office hours
16 March 2018 (Monday): TOEIC Test at the Milton Bender Auditorium from 13:00 - 17:00 hrs.
The price for students is 700 baht (from 1,500 baht) and for current AIT staff is 1,000 baht (from 1,500 baht).
Lastly, please note that a minimum of 25 students is needed for this test to be administered in AIT.
To know more about TOEIC, please visit:
(iv) Vacant Seats Available for Staff Vans
Email from Office of Human Resources Services (9 Jan. 2018)
Kindly be informed that the available seats for AIT Staff Vans are indicated as follows:
Route 1: Latplakaow - Ramintra - Sapanmai - Phaholyothin km. 27 - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space )
Route 2: Sathorn - BTS Morchit - Vibhavadi - AIT , still has 3 seats available ( from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space )
Route 3 : Nonthaburi - BTS Ministry of Public Health - Pongpetch - Laksi - Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 4: Thonburi- The Mall Tha-pra - Pinklao Intersection- Rama VII Bridge -Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 4 seats available (from 5 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
For further communication and reservation, please contract Khun Jirada at ext.5018 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
(v) Competition with Vinci Construction for Civil Engineering Students
Vinci Construction, the world’s top construction company, is looking for innovative students to imagine tomorrow’s construction industry, encompassing 3 domains:
The construction site of the future
Sustainable construction and resilience
Cities above and under cities
The finalist teams will be invited to Annecy in France in mid-May 2018 to pitch their project in front of Vinci's top managers and participate in a 2-day final including a sports challenge. Also, the best team will be invited to visit one of Vinci's exceptional projects in Europe, Asia or South America.
To participate, you simply have to create or join a 4-member team (not less or more) and submit the following deliverables in your participation field before 18 March 2018, 23.59:
A 3-slide PowerPoint or PDF about your project in English
A 1min30-video introducing your project in English
See more details: https://www.agorize.com/en/challenges/thetrail
(a) Blood Donation Announcement: 7 Mar. 2018
Email from Medical Center (2 Feb. 2018)
The Thai Red Cross Society has been working with volunteer students and staff to collect units of blood from the AIT community. The bloodmobile visits AIT every three months, four times a year, hoping to collect enough units to supply the constant demand for blood.
We again would like to ask for your help. The next visit for blood donation is scheduled on Wednesday, 7th March 2018, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. at the parking lot in front of the AIT Conference Center.
Give blood! You'll experience a fulfilling sense of contribution. And the donation process isn't time-consuming. It only takes about half an hour.
On behalf of needy patients whose lives you may save, we would like to thank you very much for your time and support.
(b) AIT Career Fair & SU Research Exhibition - 28 March 2018!
Email from AIT Career Center (6 Mar. 2018)
THREE WEEKS TO GO !
Twenty-two (22) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 28 March 2018 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the AIT Conference Center.
You are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
COMPANIES who have confirmed to join so far:
1. Dee Staff Recruitment Co. Ltd. - recruitment company
2. Erawan Sugar Co. Ltd. - one of the leading companies in sugar business in Thailand
3. Goldwind International (Thailand) Co. Ltd. - international enterprise specializing in wind turbine generators, R & D and manufacturing of its innovative leading edge wind turbine technology
4. SEC Consult Thailand Co. Ltd. - leading European consultancy for application security services and information security consultancies with subsidiaries internationally
5. Thermax Ltd. - engineering company providing sustainable solutions in energy and environment in India and internationally
Continuing Career Fair Partners:
1. Amata Corporation PCL - world's leading industrial city developer
2. Asian Engineering Consultants (AEC) Corp. Ltd. - consulting services for major public and private construction projects
3. Bouygues-Thai Ltd. - leading construction company in Asia
4. Codium Co. Ltd. - build mobile, tablet, desktop application, and enterprises solutions using the latest open source technology
5. Double A (1991) PCL- manufacturer and distributor of pulp and paper in Thailand and internationally
6. Kasikorn Bank - leading universal banking group in Thailand
7. King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT) - engineering and technology academy in Thailand
8. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. - one of the world's few multidisciplinary, and truly integrated engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
9. MFEC PCL - Thailand's fastest growing IT Services enterprise
10. Panya Consultants Co. Ltd. - provides consulting and management services to the government, private sector and international organizations
11. Project Planning Services PCL - leading engineering professional services firm
12. Pylon PCL - specialty foundation contractor company
13. Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) - international institution for the generation & application of early warning information
14. Schneider Electric - global specialist in energy management and automation
15. Siam Commercial Bank PCL - universal banking group
16. Siam Makro PCL - wholesale center for professional business operators
17. Thai Union Group PCL - Thailand-based producer of seafood-based food products
CAREER TALK Schedule:
¤ Thermax Career Talk on 7 February 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., Rm. B-115, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Mandar Erande, Country Head
¤ VPD Career Talk on topic "Manage Money, Time & Stress" on 12 March 2018 (Mon), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., B-108, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Surendra Shrestha, VPD, AIT
¤ Codium Career Talk on 14 March 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., TV Room, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Sivabudh Umpudh, CEO, Codium Co. Ltd.
¤ Goldwind Career Talk on 21 March 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., Rm. B-115, AIT Conference Center, Speaker: Mr. Tanapat Pongvanatsabodee, Business Development Manager
TOEIC Test on 16 March 2018 at 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Milton Bender Auditorium! Deadline for registration at Career Center: 9 March 2018 (Friday), 12 noon
Past Career Fair companies (2017) who recruited AIT alumni/students for jobs and internships:
¤ AIT Consulting ¤ Bouygues-Thai ¤ Chia Tai ¤ Codium ¤ LF Logistics ¤ Micromatics ¤ Panya Consultants ¤ Prospect International ¤ Pylon ¤ Thaixon ¤
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, please drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.ac.th
or check/like: https://www.facebook.com/officialaitcareercenter
or email: email@example.com
or contact us via phone: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
(ii) LECTURES / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES
(a) ICT Seminar Talk Entitled "Cryptography Basics for Understanding Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology": 7 Mar. 2018
The ICT Department will organize a seminar talk entitled "Cryptography Basics for Understanding Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology" by Dr. Chanathip Namprempre, Associate Professor, Faculty of Engineering, Thammasat University
Date: Wednesday, 7 March 2018
Time: 1.00 pm.-3.00 pm.
Venue: Milton Bender Auditorium
About the speaker:
Dr. Chanathip Namprempre is currently a faculty member in the Faculty of Engineering, Thammasat University. Her research interests include Cryptography; encryption, message authentication, digital signatures, identification, authenticated encryption, forward security, threshold cryptography, Electronic Commerce; secure protocols, blind signatures, electronic payments, Computer Security; instrusion detection, Distributed Systems; optimistic execution, causal logging.
Dr. Chanathip obtained her Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, M.Eng. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
(b) Thermax Limited Career talk: 7 Mar. 2018
AIT Career Center will organize another Career Talk by Thermax Limited , one of the leading companies providing engineering solutions to energy and environment sector. Company representatives will visit the campus to share their company profile and career opportunities. Please find details below:
Date: 7 March 2018 (Wednesday)
Time: 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Venue: Rm. B 115, ground floor, AIT Conference Center
Mr. Mandar Erande, Country Head
Preferred Nationality: Thai / Filipino / Vietnamese/ Indian
Preferred Academic Program:
" Power Plant Engineering
" Mechanical Engineering
" Industrial Engineering
" Water Engineering and Management
" Environmental Engineering and Management
" Urban Water Engineering and Management
" Energy Business Management
About Thermax Limited: Thermax's systems, products and services help industry achieve better resource productivity, and improve bottom lines while maintaining a clean environment. It's portfolio includes products for heating, cooling, water and waste management, and specialty chemicals. Thermax designs, builds and commissions large boilers for steam and power generation, turnkey power plants, industrial. Thermax provide solutions for municipal wastewater treatment plants, waste heat recovery systems and air pollution control projects.
To pre-register, please fill up the link below:
(c) 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering
Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities and Infrastructures: 22-25 Nov 2018
Urbanization is one of the major global challenges of this era. To address the issues related to safety of cities and infrastructure, the 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering (7ACEE 2018) is being jointly organized by AIT and Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) in collaboration with the Association of Structural Engineers of the Philippines Inc. (ASEP), from 22 - 25 November 2018 in Bangkok.
Engineers, architects, professionals, students, institutes, universities, and organizations are invited to submit abstracts and share their experience under the theme Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities. Download Abstract Template
All who are submitting Abstracts or papers are also requested to provide a short biography (no more than 100 words) and recent photo that will be published in both the conference program and the conference proceedings.
Open for Abstract Submission - Mar 1, 2018
Deadline for Abstract Submission - Apr 15, 2018
Registration Deadline - Aug 31, 2018
More details: http://acee2018.org/
(iii) COURSES / TRAININGS
(a) Training Programme on Economics of Climate Change Adaptation: 12 – 23 Mar. 2018
The Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific at the AIT, in cooperation with UNDP and USAID Adapt Asia-Pacific, will organize the second run of the training course on the Economics of Climate Change Adaptation under the Climate Change Asia initiative from 12 – 23 March 2018 in Bangkok (exact location to be confirmed)
More details: https://www.ait.ac.th/events/
- Delegation from the Embassy of Indonesia led by H.E. Ambassador Ahmad Rusdi / 5 Mar. 2018 / to strengthen the cordial relationship between AIT and the Government of Indonesia and to discuss aspects of the partnership for 2018
- Delegation from Tra Vinh University, Vietnam, led by Dr. Nguyen Tien Dung, Vice Chairman of Advisory Council / 9 Mar. 2018 / to initiate collaboration between Tra Vinh University and AIT and to develop a partnership for 2018
(i) New AITCC Annex & renovation of car park near Arcade
A new AITCC Annex building will be constructed opposite to AIT swimming Pool/AIT Solutions. The construction work will start from 1 October 2017 and expected to be completed by April 2018. To prepare the area for construction, the car park area opposite to swimming pool/AIT Solutions will be demolished partially and a new sewage line will be laid from Arcade area.
During the process of this work, the area will be barricaded and there might be some disturbance as well as noise.
Please be also informed that currently partial section of car park area opposite to Arcade is being renovated. It may take a week to complete the work and the area will be closed.
- Dr. Kavinda Gunasekara / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 7 - 12 February 2018*
- Dr. Abha Mishra / Mumbai, India / 22 - 28 February 2018*
- Mr. MD Zia Islam / Phuket, Thailand / 22 February 2018*
- Dr. Djoen San Santoso / Myanmar / 23 - 25 February 2018*
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Myanmar / 23 - 26 February 2018*
- Prof. Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai / Siem Reap, Cambodia / 24 - 27 February 2018*
- Dr. Nophea Sasaki / Siem Reap, Cambodia / 24 - 27 February 2018*
- Dr. Kavinda Gunasekara / Ulaanbaatar, Monglisa and Tokyo, Japan / 24 February - 10 March 2018
- Mr. Syams Nashrrallah / Uaanbaatar, Mongoles / 24 February - 10 March 2018
- Dr. Sangam Shrestha / Hanoi, Vietnam / 3 - 5 March 2018
- Dr. Zakir Hossain / Denpasar Bali, Indonesia and Timor Leste / 3 - 11 March 2018
- Ms. Farah Nashid Hossain / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 3 - 11 March 2018
- Mr. Mohammad Anishur Rahman / Denpasar Bali, Indonesia and Timor Leste / 3 - 11 March 2018
- Mr. Syed Muntasir Husain Bokhari / Jakarta, Indonesia / 3 - 17 March 2018
- Freek Olaf de Groot / Yangon, Myanmar / 4 March 2018*
- Dr. Firman Hadi Darodji / Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia / 4 - 9 March 2018
- Dr. Sundar Venkatesh / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 4 - 10 March 2018
- Dr. Ram C. Bhujel / Kathmandu, Nepal / 4 - 11 March 2018
- Prof. Nitin K. Tripathi, Ms. Netnapa Udom, Ms Sri Nidhi Bolmi, Mr. Yogendra Mishra, and Mr. Singkhon Mahamontree / Nanjing, China / 4 - 16 March 2018
- Dr. Avishek Datta / Denpasar Bali, Indonesia and Timor Leste / 5 - 7 March 2018
- Ms. Parichad Nuntavong / Islamabad and Lahore, Pakistan / 5 - 8 March 2018
- Dr. Pham Huy Giao and Mrs. Supamas Rojjanapitakphan / Hanoi, Vietnam / 5 - 9 March 2018
- Dr. Manzul K. Hazarika / Tokyo, Japan / 5 - 11 March 2018
- Dr. Jonathan Leslie Shaw / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 8 - 9 March 2018
- Dr. Chitrini Mozumder / Nanjing, China / 9 - 16 March 2018
- Mr. Arturo G. Roa / Lopburi, Thailand / 9 - 10 March 2018
- Mr. Thaung Htut Aung / Manila and Cebu, Philippines / 11 - 18 March 2018
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Position: Administrative Staff (Social Media and Promotions Coordinator) (Office of the Media & Communications)
Deadline: 15 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Webmaster) (Office of the Media & Communications)
Deadline: 15 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Office of the Media & Communications)
Deadline: 15 March 2018
Position: Administrative Staff (Accountant) (Finance Office)
Deadline: 23 March 2018
Faculty Positions (School of Management)
Ref. No. Fac 01/18
Deadline: 28 March 2018
Position: Elementary Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 14/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Music Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 15/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Pre-K Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 16/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Center of Excellence in Nanotechnology)
Ref. No. 22/18
Deadline: 31 March 2018
Technical Staff (Technician) (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No. 45/17
Deadline: 31 March 2018