WEEK #12: 19 – 25 March 2018
In this issue:
(i) Acting President during 20 -21 March 2018
Please be kindly informed that the President will be on an official mission to Pakistan during 20 – 21 March 2018.
Therefore, during the above mentioned period, Prof. Sivanappan Kumar, Vice President for Academic Affairs has kindly agreed to serve as Acting President to take care of urgent matters related to the Office of the President.
(ii) Confirmed AIT Management Notes, 1 Feb 2018
Email from Director, Office of Academic Administration (12 Mar. 2018)
At its 8 March 2018 meeting, the AIT Management confirmed the notes of its 1 February 2018 meeting, which are now Intranet-published at AIT Management Confirmed Meeting Notes
(iii) Passing away of Mr. Jaroenchai Ladnok, Driver at the OFAM
Email from OHRS (12 Mar. 2018)
It is with great sadness to inform the AIT community that Mr. Jaroenchai Ladnok passed away on Friday, 9 March 2018. Mr. Jaroenchai Ladnok was a general support staff (Driver) at the Office of Facilities and Assets Management (OFAM).
The cremation ceremony was held on Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at Wat Kla Cha Um, Khlong 2, Khlong Luang.
We express our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.
(iv) Customers Service Excellent in Educational Environment
Email from OHRS (13 Mar. 2018)
To follow up President's instructions for organizing training for service staff to realize their roles of Customer Service- Excellent and its Sustainability in Educational Setting.
Office of Human Resources Services is pleased to organize a training on “Customers Service Excellent in Educational Environment” on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at the Robert B. Banks Auditorium (AIT Auditorium ) from 09.00 hrs to 16.00 hrs.
This free seminar together with free lunch, is organized for all service staff who regularly communicate with people both at school and administrative levels.
Hence, Deans, Directors and Heads are kindly requested to submit names of their staff required to improve and / or upgrade their services on or before Monday, March 26 through this:
(v) Final Development : Attendance Report and it descriptions
Email from Interim Director – OHRS (23 Feb. 2018)
Please note that we will process payment just only employees who return the attendance report to OHRS on conditions as indicated below:
1. Effective date is from 16 March - 15 April 2018 (to be filled in the form)
2. Return this subject form to OHRS, not later than 17th of each month (starting April).
3. Direct supervisory position should delegate authority for signing the Attendance Report during his / her absent.
4. Staff of grade 1 to grade 7 are required to fill this Attendance Report.
5. All types of leave forms can submit to OHRS on regular basis.
(vi) Vacant Seats Available for Staff Vans
Email from Office of Human Resources Services (9 Jan. 2018)
Kindly be informed that the available seats for AIT Staff Vans are indicated as follows:
Route 1: Latplakaow - Ramintra - Sapanmai - Phaholyothin km. 27 - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 2: Sathorn - BTS Morchit - Vibhavadi - AIT , still has 2 seats available (from 3 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space )
Route 3 : Nonthaburi - BTS Ministry of Public Health - Pongpetch - Laksi - Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 4: Thonburi- The Mall Tha-pra - Pinklao Intersection- Rama VII Bridge -Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 4 seats available (from 5 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
For further communication and reservation, please contract Khun Jirada at ext.5018 or email@example.com.
(vii) Competition with Vinci Construction for Civil Engineering Students
Vinci Construction, the world’s top construction company, is looking for innovative students to imagine tomorrow’s construction industry, encompassing 3 domains:
The construction site of the future
Sustainable construction and resilience
Cities above and under cities
The finalist teams will be invited to Annecy in France in mid-May 2018 to pitch their project in front of Vinci's top managers and participate in a 2-day final including a sports challenge. Also, the best team will be invited to visit one of Vinci's exceptional projects in Europe, Asia or South America.
To participate, you simply have to create or join a 4-member team (not less or more) and submit the following deliverables in your participation field before 1 April 2018, 23.59:
A 3-slide PowerPoint or PDF about your project in English
A 1min30-video introducing your project in English
See more details: https://www.agorize.com/en/challenges/thetrail
(a) AIT Career Fair & SU Research Exhibition - 28 March 2018!
Email from AIT Career Center (12 Mar. 2018)
2 WEEKS TO GO !
Twenty-two (22) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 28 March 2018 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the AIT Conference Center.
You are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
COMPANIES who have confirmed to join so far:
1. Dee Staff Recruitment Co. Ltd. - recruitment company
2. Erawan Sugar Co. Ltd. - one of the leading companies in sugar business in Thailand
3. Goldwind International (Thailand) Co. Ltd. - international enterprise specializing in wind turbine generators, R & D and manufacturing of its innovative leading edge wind turbine technology
4. Krungthai-AXA Life Insurance PCL - provider of life insurance services in Thailand
5. SEC Consult Thailand Co. Ltd. - leading European consultancy for application security services and information security consultancies with subsidiaries internationally
6. Thermax Ltd. - engineering company providing sustainable solutions in energy and environment in India and internationally
Continuing Career Fair Partners:
1. Amata Corporation PCL - world's leading industrial city developer
2. Asian Engineering Consultants (AEC) Corp. Ltd. - consulting services for major public and private construction projects
3. Bouygues-Thai Ltd. - leading construction company in Asia
4. Codium Co. Ltd. - build mobile, tablet, desktop application, and enterprises solutions using the latest open source technology
5. Kasikorn Bank - leading universal banking group in Thailand
6. King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT) - engineering and technology academy in Thailand
7. Meinhardt Thailand Co. Ltd. - one of the world's few multidisciplinary, and truly integrated engineering, infrastructure and project management consulting firm
8. MFEC PCL - Thailand's fastest growing IT Services enterprise
9. Panya Consultants Co. Ltd. - provides consulting and management services to the government, private sector and international organizations
10. Project Planning Services PCL - leading engineering professional services firm
11. Pylon PCL - specialty foundation contractor company
12. Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) - international institution for the generation & application of early warning information
13. Schneider Electric - global specialist in energy management and automation
14. Siam Commercial Bank PCL - universal banking group
15. Siam Makro PCL - wholesale center for professional business operators
16. Thai Union Group PCL - Thailand-based producer of seafood-based food products
CAREER TALK Schedule:
¤ VPD Talk on "Manage Time, Money & Stress" on 12 March 2018 (Monday- TODAY!), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., B-108, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Surendra Shrestha, VPD, AIT
¤ Codium Career Talk on 14 March 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., TV Room, AIT Conference Center, Speaker - Mr. Sivabudh Umpudh, CEO, Codium Co. Ltd.
¤ Goldwind Career Talk on 21 March 2018 (Wed), 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., Rm. B-115, AIT Conference Center, Speaker: Mr. Tanapat Pongvanatsabodee, Business Development Manager
Note: TOEIC Test on 16 March 2018 (Friday) at 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Milton Bender Auditorium! Please be there in MEB Auditorium at 12:30 pm.
¤ AIT Student Union (AIT-SU) sponsored RESEARCH EXHIBITION showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research at the AITCC Lobby
¤ Variety of food, drinks, books and personal accessories sold outside the AIT Conference Center
(Note: Stalls for free to those interested to rent for selling refreshments/lunch and provide games! just contact us)
¤ AND Goodies ! free stationery and a lot more!
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, please drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.ac.th
or check/like: https://www.facebook.com/officialaitcareercenter
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact us via phone: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
(b) AIT DAY in NEPAL 2018: 22 Mar. 2018
AIT will organize AIT Day in Nepal.
Date: Thursday, 22 March 2018
Venue: Nepal Tourism Board, Seminar Hall, Bhrikutimandap
Time: 3:00 pm till 5:30 pm
Register for the event at https://goo.gl/sNANfx
15:00 hrs Registration
15:30–15:50 hrs AIT Video Presentation
15:50–16:00 hrs Opening Remarks by Dr. Subin Piyanak,
Chairman, AIT Board of Trustees
16:00–16:05 hrs Welcome address by NEA President
16:05 –16:30 hrs AIT General Presentation (promotional
slides of all three schools)
16:30–16:40 hrs Presentation on role of AIT in Nepal's
Development through higher education in AIT by Surendra Shrestha
16:40–16:55 hrs Question and answers
16:55–17:00 hrs Closing remarks by AITAAN President
17:00–17:30 hrs Other promotional business of all schools
by all three deans and AIT staffs, (counseling for prospective students )
(ii) LECTURES / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES
(a) ICT Seminar Talk on "Trade Data Analytics: Case Studies at the Global, National, and Transaction Levels" by Dr. Paul Janecek: 21 Mar. 2018
ICT Department will organize a seminar series talk entitled "Trade Data Analytics: Case Studies at the Global, National, and Transaction Levels" by Dr. Paul Jenecek, CEO of Think Blue Data (TBD).
Date: Wednesday 21 March 2018
Time: 1.00-3.00 pm.
Venue: Milton Bender Auditorium
This presentation will focus on three related case studies of projects involving the analysis and visualization of trade data, highlighting the “big data” challenges, the evolution of the technologies we’re using, and our results. The first case study explores the challenges of making sense of the billions of international trade data records available from the UN Comtrade API. The second case study considers the problem of integrating data, extending these challenges to the national level, where the international “Harmonized System” for classifying products begins to break down. The final case study narrows the focus to the challenges of tracking individual products over time, and the potential of new blockchain technologies such as “smart contracts”.
About the Speaker
Paul Janecek is the CEO of Think Blue Data (TBD), a software solutions and products company specializing in data management and visualization. Before founding TBD in 2012, Paul was a professor in the Computer Science and Information Management (CSIM) field of study at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) from 2005 to 2011. Paul received his doctorate in Computer Science from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), his masters from Queen Mary University of London, and his bachelors from West Point. For more information, please contact him at email@example.com, or visit www.thinkbluedata.com.
All interested are welcome to attend.
(b) Career Talk by Goldwind International (Thailand) Co., Ltd.: 21 Mar. 2018
AIT Career Center will organize a Career Talk by Goldwind International (Thailand) Co. Ltd., an international enterprise specializing in wind turbine generators, R & D and manufacturing of its innovative leading edge wind turbine technology. Company representatives will visit the campus to share their company profile and career opportunities. Please find details below:
Date: 21 March 2018 (Wednesday)
Time : 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Venue : Room B-115, Ground Flr., AIT Conference Center
1. Tanapat Pongvanatsabodee, Business Development Manager
2. Narawich Jetinai , Maintenance Supervisor
3. Wongwat Kanjanawongpaisarn, HR Business Partner
4. Li Xinluo, HR Business Partner
Preferred Academic Program:
2. Natural Resources Management
3. Energy Business Management
4. Engineering Fields
1. Electrical Engineer (Chinese Speaking)
2. Electrical Engineer (Filipino and Kazakhstan)
3. Project Manager
4. Management Trainee
5. Internship (Business Development and Electrical Engineer)
6. Business Development/ Office Assistant.
About Goldwind International (Thailand) Co., Ltd.: As a leading comprehensive wind power solutions provider in China and abroad, Goldwind continues to compete with a strategy for long-term development, prioritizing product quality and seeking to meet varied demands of all customers. Goldwind increased their R&D efforts by acquiring the German company VENSYS, that further improved product quality and explored additional potential values in their services.
Goldwind is ranked No.3 in the world for new wind turbine installation capacity, with 6.4 GW newly installed during 2016 and is selected twice as one of MIT Technology Review’s 50 Most Innovative Companies.
To pre-register, please fill up the link below :
To know more about Goldwind International (Thailand) Co. Ltd. , please visit:
(c) 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering
Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities and Infrastructures: 22-25 Nov 2018
Urbanization is one of the major global challenges of this era. To address the issues related to safety of cities and infrastructure, the 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering (7ACEE 2018) is being jointly organized by AIT and Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) in collaboration with the Association of Structural Engineers of the Philippines Inc. (ASEP), from 22 - 25 November 2018 in Bangkok.
Engineers, architects, professionals, students, institutes, universities, and organizations are invited to submit abstracts and share their experience under the theme Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities. Download Abstract Template
All who are submitting Abstracts or papers are also requested to provide a short biography (no more than 100 words) and recent photo that will be published in both the conference program and the conference proceedings.
Open for Abstract Submission - Mar 1, 2018
Deadline for Abstract Submission - Apr 15, 2018
Registration Deadline - Aug 31, 2018
More details: http://acee2018.org/
(iii) COURSES / TRAININGS
(a) Training Programme on Economics of Climate Change Adaptation: 12 – 23 Mar. 2018
The Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific at the AIT, in cooperation with UNDP and USAID Adapt Asia-Pacific, will organize the second run of the training course on the Economics of Climate Change Adaptation under the Climate Change Asia initiative from 12 – 23 March 2018 in Bangkok (exact location to be confirmed)
More details: https://www.ait.ac.th/events/
(i) New AITCC Annex & renovation of car park near Arcade
A new AITCC Annex building will be constructed opposite to AIT swimming Pool/AIT Solutions. The construction work will start from 1 October 2017 and expected to be completed by April 2018. To prepare the area for construction, the car park area opposite to swimming pool/AIT Solutions will be demolished partially and a new sewage line will be laid from Arcade area.
During the process of this work, the area will be barricaded and there might be some disturbance as well as noise.
Please be also informed that currently partial section of car park area opposite to Arcade is being renovated. It may take a week to complete the work and the area will be closed.
- Dr. Vilas Nitivattananon / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 6 – 9 February 2018*
- Prof. Lawrence Stephen Abeln / Phuket, Thailand / 21 – 23 February 2018*
- Dr. Nophea Sasaki / 24 – 27 February 2018*
- Ms. Naw Thwee Htoo / Mandalay, Myanmar / 1 – 4 March 2018*
- Mr. Md Zia Islam / Khon Kaen, Thailand / 9 – 10 March 2018*
- Ms. Parichad Nuntavong / Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney, Australia / 11 – 25 March 2018
- Dr. Thanh Dan Tran / Hue, Vietnam / 10 – 20 March 2018
- Mr. Hendra Gupta / Bandung, Indonesia / 11 – 13 March 2018*
- Dr. Indrajit Pal / Kyoto, Japan / 12 – 17 March 2018*
- Ms. Wilailuk Yooprem / Khon Kaen, Thailand / 13 March 2018*
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Vietnam / 13 – 14 March 2018*
- Mr. Ashwin Ashok Mysore / Uttaradit, Thailand / 14 – 15 March 2018*
- Ms. Sukanya N. / Uttaradit, Thailand / 14 – 15 March 2018*
- Ms. Wilailuk Yooprem and Ms. Kanchana Wilailak / Chonburi / 14 – 15 March 2018*
- Dr. Sangam Shretha / Galle, Sri Lanka / Prof. Rajendra P. Shrestha / Oslo, Norway / 15 – 21 March 2018
- Dr. Chotchai Charoenngam / Vietnam / 16 – 19 March 2018
- Mr. Ashok Dahai / Cordoba, Argentina / 16 – 26 March 2018
- Mr. Tharakorn Chanlapa / Chonburi, Thailand / 17 – 18 March 2018*
- Ms. Slanee Meeto / Chonburi, Thailand / 17 – 18 March 2018*
- Dr. Anil Kumar anal / Montpellier, France / 17 – 25 March 2018
- Prof. Nitin Kumar Tripathi / Samath and Varansi, India / 18 – 20 March 2018
- Dr. Firman Hadi Darodji / Hanoi, Vietnam / 18 – 20 March 2018
- Mr. Syama Nashrrullah / Hanoi, Vietnam / 18 – 20 March 2018
- Mrs. Sumana Shrestha / Kathmandu, Nepal / 18 – 23 March 2018
- Prof. Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai / Islamabad, Pakistan / 19 – 21 March 2018
- Mr. Surendra Shrestha / Kathmandu, Nepal / 19 – 23 March 2018
- Prof. Rajendra P. Shrestha / Islamabad, Pakistan and Kathmandu, Nepal / 19 – 28 March 2018
- Dr. Indrajit Pal / Kanchanaburi, Thailand / 20 – 22 March 2018
- Mr. Muhammad Khalid Wardana / Jakarta, Indonesia / 24 – 27 March 2018
- Ms. Farah Nashid Hossain / Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam / 24 – 31 March 2018
- Mr. Sufian Etea / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / 24 March – 1 April 2018
- Mr. SK Shahin Hossain / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / 24 March – 1 April 2018
- Dr. Sundar Venkatesh / Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam / 25 – 30 March 2018
- Prof. Nguyen Thi Kim Oanh / Hanoi, Vietnam / 25 March – 3 April 2018
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Position: Administrative Staff (Accountant) (Finance Office)
Deadline: 23 March 2018
Faculty Positions (School of Management)
Ref. No. Fac 01/18
Deadline: 28 March 2018
Position: Elementary Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 14/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Music Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 15/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Pre-K Teacher (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 16/18
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Position: Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Center of Excellence in Nanotechnology)
Ref. No. 22/18
Deadline: 31 March 2018
Technical Staff (Technician) (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No. 45/17
Deadline: 31 March 2018
Position: Director/PRINCIPAL for AIT INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (AIT International School)
Ref. N o. 50/2017
Deadline: 30 April 2018