WEEK #14: 2 – 8 April 2018
In this issue:
(i) AIT'S BIRTHDAY WISH TO HRH PRINCESS MAHA CHAKRI SIRINDHORN
Message from AIT President (2 April 2018)
Today is the auspicious birthday of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakra Sirindhorn. We at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) wishes to offer our most humble wishes to HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn for a long, healthy and happy life.
HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn is currently an honorary faculty member of AIT, AIT Alumna of 1984, and Holder of the Honorary Doctoral Degree of Technology of AIT in 1989. HRH Princess was also the first inductee into the 'Hall of Fame' of the Asian Institute of Technology on 7 September 2010, to celebrate the second half of AIT's century.
In 2015, HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has kindly granted acceptance to be the Honorable Chair of the International Advisory Committee of the AIT Library Modernization Campaign, and has herself donated the seed fund of 1 million Baht. The campaign was able to successfully raise 80 million Baht, far-exceeding the original target.
On this coming 27 April 2018, members of the AIT Community eagerly and happily look forward to another auspicious campus visit of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, who shall preside over the official opening of the Modernized AIT Library, and present 'Medals of Appreciation' to major patrons of AIT.
(ii) Invitation: Visit of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to AIT, Friday, 27 April 2018 - Opening of the Modernized AIT Library - AIT Campus Renaissance
Email from President (28 Mar. 2018)
Dear Members of the AIT Community,
As you may already know, Her Royal Highness (HRH) Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has graciously accepted our invitation to officially inaugurate our Modernized Library on 27 April 2018.
The AIT Library Modernization Campaign received a Royal Blessing on 27 January 2015, when AIT was informed that HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has accepted the invitation to serve as the Honorary Chair of the International Advisory Committee. In addition, HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously granted her personal donation of 1 million Baht to support the fundraising campaign.
Since then, the AIT campus has undergone extensive renovations, some of which are still ongoing – AIT Campus Renaissance.
In this regard, and as part of the AIT Campus Renaissance, the Chairman of the AIT Board of Trustees and AIT President cordially invite you to take part in the visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to the AIT campus on Friday, 27 April 2018, for the opening of the Modernized AIT Library.
We would be honored by your presence, and greatly appreciate receiving your kind confirmation not later than Thursday, 5 April 2018.
As this would be an opportune time to highlight the international character of our Institute during HRH’s visit, we are also inviting volunteer representatives (from among our employees, students, and AIT International School pupils) from each nationality groups to line the pathways where HRH will pass, i.e. from AIT Conference Center to the AIT Library. Please indicate your interest with your RSVPs by Thursday, 5 April 2018.
Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
(iii) Good news on 2017 Financial Performance of AIT
Dear Faculty and Staff Colleagues
It is my pleasure to share with you a summary of our 2017 financial performance (see attached pdf file). To save you time, allow me to provide you the following highlights:
(1) Our annual surplus continues to rise and by far the best in 2017 since the peak of the crisis after the flood.
(2) The current sum of General Reserve and Capital Fund (276+80=356 mB) is about the same as the last peak of the General Reserve (359 mB) in 2009.
(3) SET continues to perform well for the fourth consecutive years with little effect from the reduction of UG.
(4) SERD is able to achieve a positive surplus (+4.68 mB) for the first time since 2012. Congratulations.
(5) SOM suffers a deficit because of the upfront expenditures of its Bangkok Office.
(6) Language Center (LC) is able to achieve a positive surplus (+1.20 mB) for the first time ever.
(7) AIT International School continues to be positive for three consecutive years after a long period of deficits.
(8) AIT Assets Unit (an RC in OFAM) help subsidize 50% of the utilities (electricity & water) and campus maintenance costs (technical maintenance, security, cleaning and ground maintenance). Despite that, the efficiency of AIT Assets Unit helps save more fund for the campus investment in the last 2 years. This confirms the right decision made in 2014 regarding the change from a single outsource firm (Sodexo) in managing all integrated facilities of AIT.
(7) After 2017, all outreach centers (non-school RCs), except 2 outreach centers (CoE Nanotechnology and ACISAI), are able to accumulate 'Capital Funds' which enable them to upgrade equipment and facilities whenever needed.
Finally I would like to simply say "thanks" to all my colleagues, both faculty and staff, who have been working hard and smart on behalf of AIT.
Prof. Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
(iv) AIT Newsletter: April 2018
Email from OMCO
Dear Students, faculty and staff members,
Stories in the April 2018 edition of our Newsletter includes four ambassadorial visits, ministerial visits to AIT, inauguration of a Chair Professorship at AIT, rankings, academic initiatives, and student activities.
The PDF version is in the following link: https://goo.gl/UexHpf
The Newsletter archive is available here: https://www.ait.ac.th/newsletter/
Email from OHRS (26 Mar. 2018)
This is to announce with great sadness the loss of Jeeranan’s father who passed away on 23rd March 2018. Jeeranan is working at AIT International School as Administrative Staff. The religious rites were held on 27 March 2018 in Chaiyaphum province at Nhong Phong temple.
On behalf of the AIT Community, we wish to express our condolences and sympathies to Khun Jeeranan and her family during this time of bereavement.
(vi) Customers Service Excellent in Educational Environment
Email from OHRS (13 Mar. 2018)
To follow up President's instructions for organizing training for service staff to realize their roles of Customer Service- Excellent and its Sustainability in Educational Setting.
Office of Human Resources Services is pleased to organize a training on “Customers Service Excellent in Educational Environment” on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at the Robert B. Banks Auditorium (AIT Auditorium) from 09.00 hrs to 16.00 hrs.
This free seminar together with free lunch, is organized for all service staff who regularly communicate with people both at school and administrative levels.
(vii) Development of Time and Attendance Report
Email from OHRS (30 Mar. 2018)
Dear Respective Faculty and Staff,
After reporting on utilization of Time and Attendance Report to the AITMT, we, therefore, would like to develop it to be more convenience in uses for employees and Dean/Director.
1. Dean/ Director is required to sign only ONE (1) Signature in the Covering Letter. And they should delegate their authority for signing the Time and Attendance Report during their absences.
2. All Attendance Reports will have to be signed by each of immediate supervisors.
Other conditions remain unchanging.
Please note that we wish to use this system for a while, until IT Serve will finish upgrading this subject system to become a full fledged computerize system.
(viii) Vacant Seats Available for Staff Vans
Email from Office of Human Resources Services (9 Jan. 2018)
Kindly be informed that the available seats for AIT Staff Vans are indicated as follows:
Route 1: Latplakaow - Ramintra - Sapanmai - Phaholyothin km. 27 - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 2: Sathorn - BTS Morchit - Vibhavadi - AIT , still has 2 seats available (from 3 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space )
Route 3 : Nonthaburi - BTS Ministry of Public Health - Pongpetch - Laksi - Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 3 seats available (from 4 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
Route 4: Thonburi- The Mall Tha-pra - Pinklao Intersection- Rama VII Bridge -Vibhavadi - AIT, still has 4 seats available (from 5 seats left 1 seat for relaxing space)
For further communication and reservation, please contract Khun Jirada at ext.5018 or email@example.com.
(i) LECTURES / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES
(a) Seminar-Workshop to Empower Structural Engineers: 31 May – 2 June 2018
AIT Solutions will organize Seminar-Workshop to Empower Structural Engineers from31 May – 2 June 2018 for Visionary Event and Technical at Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok.
A Dinner Talk with Ashraf Habibullah will also be held on 31 May as part of the event.
Interested persons please contact: Khun Rakdao Pakdisi, Event Coordinator
For more details, please visit: www.solutions.ait.ac.th
(b) 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering
Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities and Infrastructures: 22-25 Nov 2018
Urbanization is one of the major global challenges of this era. To address the issues related to safety of cities and infrastructure, the 7th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering (7ACEE 2018) is being jointly organized by AIT and Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) in collaboration with the Association of Structural Engineers of the Philippines Inc. (ASEP), from 22 - 25 November 2018 in Bangkok.
Engineers, architects, professionals, students, institutes, universities, and organizations are invited to submit abstracts and share their experience under the theme Seismic Resilience for Safer Cities. Download Abstract Template
All who are submitting Abstracts or papers are also requested to provide a short biography (no more than 100 words) and recent photo that will be published in both the conference program and the conference proceedings.
Open for Abstract Submission - Mar 1, 2018
Deadline for Abstract Submission - Apr 15, 2018
Registration Deadline - Aug 31, 2018
More details: http://acee2018.org/
(i) New AITCC Annex & renovation of car park near Arcade
A new AITCC Annex building will be constructed opposite to AIT swimming Pool/AIT Solutions. The construction work will start from 1 October 2017 and expected to be completed by April 2018. To prepare the area for construction, the car park area opposite to swimming pool/AIT Solutions will be demolished partially and a new sewage line will be laid from Arcade area.
During the process of this work, the area will be barricaded and there might be some disturbance as well as noise.
Please be also informed that currently partial section of car park area opposite to Arcade is being renovated. It may take a week to complete the work and the area will be closed.
(ii) Korea House Renovation
Email from OFAM (22 Mar. 2018)
Please be informed that renovation of the Korea House has started from Monday, 26 March 2018 and is expected to be ready by mid of May 2018.
- Dr. Duc Hoang Nguyen / Hanoi, Vietnam / 3 – 7 March 2018*
- Dr. Kunnawee Kanitpong / Geneva, Switzerland / 18 – 22 March 2018*
- Dr. Vilas Nitivattananon / Nakhon Sawan and Uthai Thani, Thailand / 21 – 24 March 2018*
- Mr. Sanjeet Amatya / Kathmandu, Nepal / 21 – 24 March 2018*
- Dr. Oleg Shipin / Nakhon Sawan, Thailand / 22 – 24 March 2018*
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Myanmar / 23 – 26 March 2018*
- Freek Olaf de Groot / Yangon, Myanmar / 25 March 2018*
- Prof. Nguyen Thi Kim Oanh / Hanoi, Vietnam / 25 March – 3 April 2018
- Dr. Wenchao Xue / Guangzhou, China / 25 – 28 March 2018*
- Ms. Narumon Wangnai / Vientiane, Lao PDR / 25 March – 7 April 2018
- Dr. Syed Faizul Hassain Shah / Karachi – Lahore, Pakistan; Istanbul, Turkey / 27 March – 6 April 2018
- Mr. Voravate Chonlasin / Vientiane, Lao PDR / 27 March – 7 April 2018
- Ms. Rowena Alcoba / Lahore, Pakistan; Istanbul, Turkey; and Washington DC., USA / 27 March – 21 April 2018
- Dr. Sylvia Szabo / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 27 – 31 March 2018*
- Dr. Abha Mishra / Uttaradit, Thailand / 28 – 30 March 2018*
- Dr. Priyanka Kakria / Uttaradit,Thailand / 28 – 30 March 2018*
- Mr. Ashwin Ashok Mysore / Uttaradit, Thailand / 28 – 30 March 2018*
- Ms. Sukanya Hnooma / Uttaradit, Thailand / 28 – 30 March 2018*
- Dr. Apichon Witayangkurn / Tokyo, Japan / 28 March – 4 April 2018*
- Dr. Indrajit Pal / Dhaka, Bangladesh / 28 – 31 March 2018*
- Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / Chonburi and Rayong, Thailand / 29 – 30 March 2018*
- Dr. Jai G. Singh / Pittasanulok, Thailand / 30 March 2018*
- Dorji Penjor / Pittsanulok, Thailand / 30 March 2018*
- Dr. Anil Kumar Anal / Kathmandu, Nepal / 30 March – 8 April 2018
- Ms. Sheldon Ayelsha Isabellah / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 1 – 16 April 2018
- Ms. Sopida Khamyai / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 2 – 4 April 2018
- Dr. Masahiko Nagai / Japan / 2 – 5 April 2018
- Dr. Manzul K. Hazarika / Hue, Vietnam / 4 – 7 April 2018*
- Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Vietnam / 5 – 9 April 2018
- Ms. Patteera Jensupakarn, Ms. Auearee Jensupakarn, Ms. Pathumphon Dabsomsri, and Ms. Kannika Issarakul / Hokkaido, Japan / 5 – 16 April 2018
- Prof. C. Visvanathan / Pradesh, India / 7 – 12 April 2018
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Position: Administrative Staff (Program Officer) (AIT Extension)
Ref. No. 26/18
Deadline: 12 April 2018
Position: Research & Professional Staff (Laboratory Supervisor) (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No. 25/18
Deadline: 15 April 2018
Position: Director/PRINCIPAL for AIT INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (AIT International School)
Ref. No. 50/2017
Deadline: 30 April 2018
Position: Licensing Counsel Officer
Ref. No. 06/17
Deadline: 30 April 2018
Position: Structural Engineer (AIT Solutions)
Ref. No. 07/18
Deadline: 30 April 2018