WEEK# 40, 30 September – 6 October 2019
In this issue:
(i) Improvement work at five buildings from 23 September
Email from OFAM (20 Sept. 2019)
Please be informed that the contractor will start the improvement work of exterior painting at the following five buildings. The work is scheduled from Monday, 23 September to Wednesday, 23 October 2019,
AIT Conference Center: Painting inside (lobby area ceiling) and exterior painting
During this time there might be a loud noise, smell, and few areas may be closed due to the improvement work. As well, we request the residents living around that area and AIT community visiting AITCC to be careful, while you are passing by that area.
(a) AIT Career Fair & SU Research Exhibition: 30 October 2019
Thirty-one (31) organizations have confirmed so far to join the AIT Career Fair scheduled on 30 October 2019 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the AIT Conference Center.
You are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
COMPANIES who have confirmed to join so far:
1. Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) - an intergovernmental organization that works to build the resilience of people and institutions to disasters and climate change impacts in Asia and the Pacific
2. Asian Engineering Consultants Corp. Ltd. (AEC) - consulting services for major public and private construction projects
3. Amata Corporation PCL - world’s leading industrial city developer
4. Berli Jucker PCL - a major Thai import and export firm
5. Bouygues-Thai Ltd. - leading construction company in Asia
6. Cal-Comp Electronics (Thailand) PCL - electronics computer manufacturing company
7. Codium Co. Ltd. – builds mobile, tablet, desktop application, and enterprises solutions using the latest open source technology
8. Consultants of Technology Co. Ltd. (COT) - Thai professional engineering consulting firm serving governmental, private sector, and international organizations/agencies
9. Delta Electronics (Thailand) PCL - producer of power and thermal management solutions and a regional player in segments including industrial automation, displays and networking (FIRST TIMER)
10.Demco PCL - one stop complete range of services for design, construction, and installation in electrical power system, including renewable energy like wind and solar, and communication system, like fiber optic and signaling (FIRST TIMER)
11. DHL Supply Chain (Thailand) Co. Ltd - world's largest logistics company operating around the world, particularly in sea and air mail
12. Helukabel (Thailand) Co. Ltd. - cable solutions for photovoltaic systems
13. John Deere (Thailand) Limited - leading manufacturer of agricultural, construction, and forestry machinery, diesel engines, drive trains used in heavy equipment, and lawn care equipment
14. KG Engineering Co. Ltd., - leader in mechanical electrical system engineering (M&E), solar power generation system and integrated energy saving system (FIRST TIMER)
15. Leapfrog Technology (from Nepal) - one of the most trusted technology services company in Nepal and aims to build world class software for global clients
16. Michelin Siam Co. Ltd. - one of the world's leading names in tyres and mobility
17. My Internship Asia (Thailand) Ltd. - one of the leading internship placement companies in Thailand (FIRST TIMER)
18. Pandora Production Co. Ltd. - jewelry chain featuring a variety of necklaces, rings, customizable charm bracelets & more
19. Panya Consultants Co. Ltd. - provides consulting and management services to the government, private sector and international organizations
20. Plan International - a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children's rights and equality for girls (FIRST TIMER)
21. Promptnow Co. Ltd. - is leading the mobile handset experience revolution in Thailand and the region by developing innovative user experiences on mobile handsets (FIRST TIMER)
22. Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) - international institution for the generation & application of early warning information
23. Ruel B. Ramirez & Associates/RBRA (from Philippines) - a consulting firm engaged in complete engineering design and management services (FIRST TIMER)
24 Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) - Thailand's first indigenous bank
25. Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction PCL (STECON)- a leading engineering and construction company
26. TEAM Consulting Engineering and Management PCL - Thailand's largest conglomerate of consulting companies
27. Thanachart Bank PCL - Thailand’s sixth-largest bank by assets size and the country's leading automobile lender (FIRST TIMER)
28. The Siam Cement PLC (SCG) - leading business conglomerate in the ASEAN region
29. Think Blue Data Co. Ltd. - software solutions for data visualization company
30. United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) -the regional development arm of the United Nations for the Asia-Pacific region (FIRST TIMER)
31. Vinarco Services Thailand Ltd.- a market leader in providing professional consultancy services across Asia-Pacific
CAREER TALK SCHEDULE:
¤ Industrial Visit to Gulf Energy Development PCL on 2 October 2019 (Wednesday) at Gulf GUT Plant Ayutthaya
¤ KG Engineering Career Talk on 4 October 2019 (Friday), 4:00 - 5:30 pm, MEB Auditorium
¤ JobsDB CV & Interview Workshop on 9 October 2019 (Wednesday), 4:00 - 5:30 pm, MEB Auditorium
¤ Delta Electronics (Thailand) PCL Career Talk on 11 October 2019 (Friday), 4:00 - 5:30 pm, MEB Auditorium
¤ Demco PCL Career Talk on 16 October 2019 (Wednesday), 4:00 - 5:30 pm, MEB Auditorium
¤ ASEAN Career Fair with Japan 2020 Talk by Energize (Japan) on 22 October 2019 (Tuesday), 3:00 - 5:00 pm, MEB Auditorium, Special Attraction with travel scholarships for selected student applicants to Singapore for ASEAN Career Fair in February 2020!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
¤ Long-term career prospects
¤ Job placements
¤ Internship opportunities
¤ On-the-job training
¤ Research partners
¤ Networking with company representatives
¤ Student Union (SU) Research Exhibition!
Please help us in spreading the word out about the Fair !!! And let us know as well if you have any company contacts that you want us to invite to the Fair.
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, please visit: www.careercenter.ait.ac.th
or check/like: https://www.facebook.com/officialaitcareercenter
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact us via phone: 662 524-6744, 662 524-6326
We will keep you posted with all the updates.
(b) Blood Donation: 3 December 2019
Email from AIT Medical Center (17 Sept. 2019)
The Thai Red Cross Society has been working with volunteer students and staff to collect units of blood from the AIT community. The bloodmobile visits AIT every three months, four times a year, hoping to collect enough units to supply the constant demand for blood.
We again would like to ask for your help. The next visit for blood donation is scheduled on Tuesday, 3rd December 2019, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. at the parking lot in front of the AIT Conference Center.
Give blood! You'll experience a fulfilling sense of contribution. And the donation process isn't time-consuming. It only takes about half an hour.
On behalf of needy patients whose lives you may save, we would like to thank you very much for your time and support.
(ii) LECTURES/ SEMINARS / CONFERENCES
(a) KG Engineering Career Talk: 4 Oct. 2019
AIT Career Center will organize a Career Talk by KG Engineering Co. Ltd. , a leading M&E (Mechanical and Electrical) engineering and energy solutions Company. Please find details below and pre-register to reserve your seats.
Date: Friday, 4 October 2019
Time : 4 pm to 5 pm
Venue : Milton E. Bender Auditorium, AIT
Speaker: Mr. Waris Chinnawong, HR Manager, KG Engineering
Career / Internship opportunities: Engineering Officer / Backup Engineering Officer / Marketing / IT
Preferred Nationality: Thai nationality but open to other nationalities interested in KG career opportunities
To pre-register, please click here
(iii)TRAININGS / COURSES
(a) English writing courses (EL courses): 26 Aug. – 14 Nov. 2019
The registration for Academic English (EL) classes for the August 2019 Semester is now open. Please click: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfAFgslmGhQJqhZ40ENac-iA6ZLLKit... and choose from the available time slots (AIT login is required).
CLASSES: 26 August – 14 November 2019
Students with English scores below AIT’s admission requirements will be automatically enrolled in the mandatory English Language (EL) courses listed below. Students will need to pay a one-time registration fee of 5,000 Baht at the AIT Cashier for EL courses. The EL course level will be automatically assigned based on a student’s current English score:
5.0 - EL15 Intermediate English Composition
5.5 - EL19 Academic and Technical Writing
***English course fee: 5,000 Baht one-time flat fee to all newly enrolled students.***
The EL courses should be your first priority. Therefore scheduling problems and conflicts are not valid reasons to request to drop out of EL courses. To drop the course, you will need to submit a memo requesting the EL exemption on a semester basis. This memo will need to be approved by your advisor and submitted to the Language Center before 16 August 2019 (AIT adding/dropping date). If you fail to drop the EL course you are enrolled in before the 6th September, you will still be graded for the EL course you have enrolled.
As you have been informed during the orientation, AIT maintains a strict policy on English language requirements. Students who have not met the English language requirements by the third semester of study will not be allowed to register for thesis or research credits.
(b) Thai and Japanese Courses for Beginners: Aug. – Oct. 2019
The Language Center announces the opening of Thai and Japanese courses for Beginners as follows:
• Survival Thai Course for Beginners
The 7-week survival Thai course is an introduction to Thai languages which will cover basic words, phrases, daily and simple expressions and basic grammatical structures to communicate with Thais. The purpose of the course is to introduce participants to the principles and basic of Thai language as used in everyday conversation. Moreover, the course will prepare them to feel confident to communicate with Thais and feel at ease while staying in Thailand.
Group 1: 19 August – 18 September 2019, Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 17:00 – 18:30, 3 days a week
Group 2: 26 August – 9 October 2019, Monday and Wednesday from 18:30 – 20:00, 2 days a week
Total of 20 hours
Course fee: 2,000 baht
• Thai Reading and Writing Course for Beginners
This course is the introduction to reading and writing. It is the 7-week course that is designed for those who do not know how to read and write Thai language. The participants will practice reading letters and learn how to spell words and create sentences.
27 August – 10 October 2019, Tuesday and Thursday from 17:00 – 18:30
Total of 20 hours
Course fee: 2,000 baht
• Japanese Course for Beginners
Class dates: September 30 (No classes on Sept 23, 25) October 2, 7, 9, 16
The class meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30 to 6:30 pm (total 10 sessions)
Interested persons can register and make payment at the Language Center, Room 216.
(c)Professional Training Program on Advanced Shrimp Farming: 3 – 10 Nov. 2019
Professional Training Program on "Advanced Shrimp Farming"
Date: 3-10 November 2019
Venue: AIT Conference Center, AIT Campus
"Advanced Shrimp Farming" is one week long professional training program, which has been designed to address not only the lack of know-how and issues with farming practices but also to meet the specific needs and requirements for the sustainable development of this venture in the region. The program will cover the state of the art of farming practices, existing good practices, innovation and advanced technology in farming and shrimp healthcare along with planning and management of environmental issues with shrimp farming.
For more details pls. visit at https://www.extension.ait.ac.th/course/457
(d) Strategic Human Resource Management and Business Leadership: 11 – 15 Nov. 2019
A training program on "Strategic Human Resource Management and Business Leadership" will be organized by AIT Extension from 11-15 November 2019.
Professional Development Course on "Strategic Human Resource Management and Business Leadership"
Duration: 11-15 November 2019
Venue: AIT Conference Center
More details: www.extension.ait.ac.th/course/897
(e)Training Program on "Sustainable Agriculture, Agribusiness and Value Chain Management in Thailand"
AIT Extension will organize a Training Program on “Sustainable Agriculture, Agribusiness and Value Chain Management in Thailand" at AIT.
Program: "Sustainable Agriculture, Agribusiness and Value Chain Management in Thailand"
Duration: 2-7 December 2019
Venue: AIT Conference Center, AIT Campus
The “Sustainable Agriculture, Agribusiness and Value Chain Management in Thailand” is a one-week long professional development program, which has been designed to address the key issues dealing by the agriculturists and development professionals in other countries often with similar or different agro-ecological zones. At the end of this program, participants are expected to widen their views and understandings on modern and sustainable farming practices in different agro-ecological zones including low land or wetland ecosystems.
For more details please visit at www.extension.ait.ac.th/course/948
• MOU Signing between AIT and Army Research and Development Office, Thailand, led by Maj. Gen. Chookiat Chuaypetch, Director of ARDO / 30 Sept. 2019 /
• Delegation from Universita Gadjah Mada (UGM) / 9 Oct. 2019 / to have discussion regarding Agribusiness Program with Dr. Anil Kumar Anal, Head of Department of Food, Agriculture and Bioresources, AIT
Prof. Pramin Norachan / Bhutan / 18 – 20 September 2019*
Prof. Mukand Singh Babel / Wuhan City, China / 23 – 26 September 2019*
Prof. Joyashree Roy / Bangladesh, India, and Austria / 24 September – 12 October 2019
Dr. Apichon Witayangkurn / Tokyo, Japan / 25 September – 5 October 2019
Dr. Shobhakar Dhakal / India / 28 September – 5 October 2019
Dr. Pham Huy Giao, Dr. Kuo-Chieh Chao, Mrs. Supamas Rojjanapitakphan, Ms. Chanidaporn Chaimongkol, Mr. Terkiad Nontapot / Ayudhaya, Angthong, and Kanchanaburi, Thailand / 2 - 4 October 2019
Prof. Weerakorn Ongsakul / Surathani, Thailand / 3 – 4 October 2019
Prof. Kyoko Kusakabe / Yangon, Myanmar / 3 – 5 October 2019
Dr. Philippe Doneys / Yangon, Myanmar / 3 – 5 October 2019
Dr. Joyee Chatterjee / Yangon, Myanmar / 3 – 5 October 2019
Dr. Ram Lal Verma / Siem Reap, Cambodia / 6 – 11 October 2019
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)E. Faculty and Staff Travel
Ref. No. 44/19
Deadline: 27 September 2019
Position: Head, Climate Change Cluster (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No. 43/19
Deadline: 31 October 2019