WEEK #41, 12 - 18 October 2015
In this issue:
AIT World-ranked in QS World Ranking by Subject 2015/ 16
As communicated before, being a predominantly Postgraduate and Non-comprehensive Institute, AIT does not meet the eligibility criteria to participate in the “University Rankings” under the 3 major World University Ranking Systems (ARWU, Times Higher Education Ranking and the QS World University Rankings). However, QS has included AIT in its QS World University Rankings by Subject and by Faculty since 2014 - 15.
In the latest QS Ranking, only 200 or 300 or 400 universities worldwide are shortlisted in the world rankings depending on the subject. Four groups of criteria are used in the ranking (1) Academic Reputation, (2) Employer Reputation, (3) Citations per Paper, and (4) H-Index Citations.
In this message, I write to inform you that AIT was world-ranked in four subjects by “QS World-Rankings by Subject 2015” in the recent announcement on 15 September 2015.
Both “Civil & Structural Engineering” and “Environmental Science” subjects at AIT were ranked 151 - 200 in the world, while “Electrical and Electronic” subject was ranked 251-300 in the world, and “Computer Science & Information System” subject ranked 301 - 350 in the world.
In Thailand, only 2 universities were included in the list of World-Rankings in these 3 subjects: Civil & Structural Engineering, Environmental Science, and Computer Science & Information System. In “Electrical and Electronic” 4 universities in Thailand are ranked.
In the QS special section on “Top Civil Engineering Schools in 2015” AIT appeared in the list among the 200 World-Ranked Universities, side-by-side with its founding prototype Colorado State University.
In addition, the Faculty of Engineering & Technology of AIT was ranked 240th in the world in the list of QS World University Rankings by Faculty.
I will leave the judgment of the significance (or insignificance) of the rankings to each individual's opinion which should all be respected. At the end, I wish to emphasized that the data leading to these rankings were collected independently by QS. Our faculty colleagues in the four subjects should be commended for having achieved this status despite the unfavorable situation coming out from the worst crisis in the history of AIT.
Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
AIT Timeline for October 2015
AIT Timeline for October 2015 is now online - Browse for a pictorial view of happenings from October 1 onwards.
All previous timelines are here: http://www.ait.ac.th/news-and-events/timeline#.VhiRU9aGVUR
2015 Year-end Party for AIT Employees
The 2015 Year-end Party will be organized for all AIT employees on Friday, December 4.
“Out with the old
And in with the new…
We’re ready to party
So we’re inviting you”
There will be music, games, tree-planting, raffle prizes, and good food!
Watch out for further announcements.
Grant opportunities from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is inviting applications that address specific challenges defined in the grant programs below. For details and application instructions, please visit the new Grand Challenges website. Please note that descriptions of the challenges are available on the website in Chinese, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
1) Grand Challenges Explorations is seeking innovative global health and development solutions and is now accepting proposals for its latest application round. Applicants can be at any experience level; in any discipline; and from any organization, including colleges and universities, government laboratories, research institutions, non-profit organizations, and for-profit companies. Initial grants will be US $100,000 each, and projects showing promise will have the opportunity to receive additional funding of up to US $1 million.
Proposals are being accepted online until November 11, 2015 for the following challenges:
• Novel Approaches to Characterizing and Tracking the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance
• Explore New Solutions in Global Health Priority Areas
• Addressing Newborn and Infant Gut Health Through Bacteriophage-Mediated Microbiome Engineering
• Explore New Ways to Measure Delivery and Use of Digital Financial Services Data
2) New Interventions for Global Health: Vaccine Manufacturing. This challenge focuses on innovations in vaccine manufacturing platforms designed to lower production cost for vaccines that target diseases of great global burden and that are among the most costly to produce with current technologies.
Letters of Intent will be accepted until November 5, 2015.
3) The Global Innovation Fund is accepting application on a rolling basis. Please visit the website for more information http://globalinnovation.fund/apply-to-gif
4) An Interactive Biostatistics Course will be held from 16-20 November 2015 at the KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for TB and HIV (K-RITH), based at the Nelson R. Mandela School of Medicine in Durban, South Africa. The primary goal of this course is to give participants an overview of the various biostatistical methods used in medical research so that they can both employ these techniques in their own research and better understand the results presented in medical literature. Lori Chibnik, PhD, MPH, a Biostatistician at Harvard University, will run an inspiring and hands-on training course on biostatistics where students will work with data from their own projects to understand basic statistical concepts and methods used in medical research. Travel Scholarships are available to allow trainees for across Africa to attend. For more information and to apply please visit www.k-rith.org. Deadline for applications: 1 October 2015.
5) In addition, the African Academy of Sciences and the New Partnership for African Development have launched Grand Challenges Africa in Nairobi, Kenya. This program joins others within the Grand Challenges family of grant programs supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and its partners. Grand Challenges Africa will build on the global success of Grand Challenges programs in India, Brazil, and South Africa, as well as the strong base of Africa Grand Challenges grantees already funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, and USAID. Please read our latest blogs including one from the Global Health President. For more information please visit AAS.
Furthermore, as a forum for sharing ideas, pursuing new opportunities and keeping abreast of new developments in the field of global health, The Gates Foundation together with Grand Challenges Canada has set-up a LinkedIn group. All you need to join is a free LinkedIn account - go to Global Health Innovations and click “Join”.
We look forward to receiving innovative ideas from around the world and from all disciplines. If you have a great idea, please apply. If you know someone else who may have a great idea, please forward this message.
Thank you for your commitment to solving the world's greatest health and development challenges.
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives.
Interested persons please visit: www.grandchallenges.org
Emerald Online Quiz 2015
Emerald has launched and online Quiz 2015 for all universities in Thailand who subscribe to Emerald.
To join activities please click to https://goo.gl/lWvr5i
The online quiz starts now and lasts until 31st October 2015.
1st place winner: iPad Mini 1 prize
2nd place winners: Emerald Backpack 2 prizes
3rd place winners: Emerald Power Bank3 prizes
4th place winners: Emerald Sheep Bag 5 prizes
5th place winners: Emerald keychain 10 prizes
Emerald will announce all winners on Instragram @emeraldthailand on 5 November 2015.
Follow up Call for a Proposal due in Oct.
Prof. Kanchana Kanchanasut, Vice President for Research, would like to remind the AIT Community regarding the following call for a proposal due in October 2015:
- Regional Forum on Climate Change grant of 143,000 EUR for 3 projects (adaptation/mitigation/cross-cutting studies). Teams must involve 3 research centers: 1 AIT, 1 French, 1 other Asian.
Deadline: October 31, 2015
ABU Asia Pacific Robot Contest
Thailand will host ABU Asia Pacific Robot Contest next year under the theme “Clean Energy Recharging the World”, organized by Thailand’s Channel 9 (MCOT).
The contest’s rules were announced on 23 August 2015 in Indonesia. The rules are specified by an academic committee chaired by Dr. Manukid Parnichkun of Mechatronics Program, School of Engineering and Technology.
Please see the contest introduction VDO from the following links:
Further information is available at: www.aburobocon2016.com
Request for Information: Fulbright Alumni
In early November a delegation from the Institute of International Education (IIE) will visit AIT to explore possible areas of collaboration. IIE is interested to know if there are any Fulbright Alumni among the AIT Faculty and Staff.
As External Relations and Communications Office (ERCO) will coordinating the visit of IIE, the Fulbright Alumni are requested to contact Dr. Gabrielle Groves Punyaratabandhu, Head of ERCO, tel. 524 6024 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and provide the following details:
1. Full Name
2. Current Position at AIT
3. Fulbright Alumni at which Institution and dates
Dr. Gabrielle Groves Punyaratabandhu will follow up directly with you about your possible interest in participating in a meeting with the delegation.
TOEIC test at AIT
The AIT Career Center is organizing a TOEIC test on 29 October 2015 from 08:00 - 12:00 hrs. at the Milton Bender Auditorium, AIT Extension Building, AIT.
The TOEIC test questions are based on real-life work settings in an international environment (meetings, travel, telephone conversations, etc). The Test is used by organizations to determine whether an employee is suitable for a particular task. If you work or want to work for a large organization, particularly in Asia, then the TOEIC test will be useful to you.
The schedule of registration, payment method, confirmation of payment and TOEIC preparation course are given below:
12- 21 October 2015: Online Registration and Payment for TOEIC Test.
Payment (by cash) at Career Center Office thru Ms. Chatchata, AIT Admin Building (beside Registry) during office hours.
29 October 2015: TOEIC Test at the Milton Bender Auditorium from 08:00 - 12:00 hrs.
The price for students is 700 baht and for current AIT staff is 1,000 baht .
Lastly, please note that a minimum of 25 students is needed for this test to be administered in AIT.
To register for the test: https://docs.google.com/a/ait.asia/forms/d/1HApPdHyNa1JUQifE0JTNJ3WTayImp7bYGrXWfBDSgPY/viewform
For more information and questions, please visit our Career Center Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/aitcareercenter or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are thankful to the Center for Professional Assessment (TOEIC Test Center), the only TOEIC test conductor in Thailand, for conducting the standardized test.
Second International Training Program on Innovative Biofloc Technologies for Disease Prevention and Control in Shrimp Farming
The Second International Training Program on Innovative Biofloc Technologies for Disease Prevention and Control in Shrimp Farming will be organized from 12-16 October 2015 at the Conference Center of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT).
See More details: http://www.ait.ac.th/news-and-events/2015/events/second-international-training-program-on-innovative-biofloc-technologies-for-disease-prevention-and-control-in-shrimp-farming/#.Vgjn1Mv-IdU
DPMM Seminars for Asia Pacific Initiative for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance
Disaster Preparedness Mitigation and Management (DPMM) program shall be conducting a seminar series from August-December 2015 as a part of the Asia Pacific Initiative for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance. The seminars will be delivered from JICA Room, Second Floor, School of Engineering and Technology (SET).
To reserve a seat, kindly contact
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
See more details: http://www.ait.ac.th/news-and-events/2015/events/dpmm-seminars-for-asia-pacific-initiative-for-disaster-management-and-humanitarian-assistance/#.Ve-rSMv-IdV
FIVE WEEKS TO GO! 27 ORGANIZATIONS TO MEET @ THE AIT CAREER FAIR
4 November 2015, AIT Conference Center
27 organizations have confirmed so far to join the Career Fair on 4 November 2015. A brief profile of the companies that are attending our Fair for the very first time are given below:
- Decathlon Production (Thailand) Ltd. – outdoor gear/sporting goods distributor.
- King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi – leading technology academy in Thailand.
- INTEQC Feed Co., Ltd. - livestock agricultural business provider.
- DSG International (Thailand) PCL - manufacturer and distributor of baby products/diapers.
- Spring Professional Recruitment (Thailand) Ltd. - international recruitment firm specialising in mid to senior level recruitment for engineering, IT, property & construction, and supply fields.
- MFEC PCL - Thailand's fastest growing IT Services enterprise.
- Bluescope Steel PCL - leading international supplier of steel products solutions and a flat steel producer.
- Saraff Global - started with diamond business and diversified to real estate, trading, IT, power sector, plastics and Renewsys fields.
The above companies are now joining the list with: BangkokGlass PCL, Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited, TEAM Consulting Engineering and Management Co. Ltd., Kasikorn Bank, Siam Cement Group, Christiani and Nielsen PCL, Tipco Asphalt PCL, SDV Logistics (Thailand) Co., Ltd., Pylon PCL, Siam Makro Co., Ltd., Maxim Integrated Product (Thailand) Co., Ltd., AMATA Corporation PCL, ERM-Siam Co., Ltd. (Head Office), Black & Veatch (Thailand) Ltd., TOA Paint ( Thailand) Co., Ltd., GEMCITY Engineering and Manufacturing Thailand, Panya Consultants, AIT Consulting, Dutch Mill Co., Ltd.
Many more will be confirming their participation in the coming weeks.
Companies have also started visiting the campus to give Career Talks. Please find below updated
CAREER TALK SCHEDULE:
Mott MacDonald Co., Ltd - 14 October 2015 (Wed), 4 pm, B108, AITCC
Cowan Intl Co., Ltd. - 21 October 2015 (Wed), 4 pm, B108, AITCC
MFEC Co., Ltd. - 28 October 2015 (Wed), 4 pm, B206, AITCC
World Bank Gr. Info Session - 30 October 2015 (Fri), 4 pm, B108, AITCC
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, please drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.asia; http://www.facebook.com/aitcareercenter; email@example.com; tel. 02-524-6744, 02- 524-6326.
Reading and Writing Thai for Beginners
The Language Center is pleased to announce the opening of Reading and Writing Thai for Beginners.
Reading and Writing Thai for Beginners:
From 26 October to 9 December 2015 (20 hours)
On Monday and Wednesday, from 17:00 - 18:30 hrs.
Course Fee: 2,000 baht
Class Size: 15 persons
Register now at the Language Center, Room 216.
Faculty and Staff Travel
Dr. Abha Mishra / Uttaradit Province, Thailand / 27 – 30 September 2015*
Ms. Amornpan Koysungeon / Uttaradit Province, Thailand / 27 – 30 September 2015*
Dr. Nagai Masahiko / Nagoya, Japan / 28 September – 2 October 2015*
Miss Aye Sandar Phyo / Mandalay & Yezin, Myanmar / 30 September – 20 October 2015
Mr. Furqan Ali Shaikh / Karachi & Quetta, Pakistan / 1 – 15 October 2015
Dr. B.H.W. Hadikusumo / Myanmar / 3 October 2015*
Dr. Prabhat Kumar / Rome, Italy / 3 – 9 October 2015*
Ms. Rowena Alcoba / Manila, Philippines / 3 – 12 October 2015
Mr. Norman Del Mundo Alcoba / Manila, Philippines / 3 – 25 October 2015
Dr. Jai Govind Singh / Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pichit, Lampang and Chiang Mai Province, Thailand / 5 – 7 October 2015*
Dr. Vu Duc Hien /Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pichit, Lampang and Chiang Mai Province, Thailand / 5 – 9 October 2015*
Mr. Ruangsilp Sriviset / Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pichit, Lampang and Chiang Mai Province, Thailand / 5 – 9 October 2015*
Ms. Phornsinee Thanara / Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pichit, Lampang and Chiang Mai Province, Thailand / 5 – 9 October 2015*
Prof. Rajendra P. Shrestha / Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates / 5 – 9 October 2015*
Prof. S. Kumar / Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pichit, Lampang and Chiang Mai Province, Thailand / 7 – 9 October 2015*
Dr. Anil Kumar Anal, Miss Sarisa Sangratana and Mr. Saran Khumrat / Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand / 6 – 7 October 2015*
Dr. Vattikuti Rajesh Chowdhary / Bangalore, India / 6 – 15 October 2015
Dr. Firman Hadi Darodji / Semarang, Indonesia / 7 – 10 October 2015*
Dr. Abha Mishra / New York, USA / 9 – 17 October 2015
Dr. Theo Ebbers / Timor Leste / 9 – 17 October 2015
Mrs. Warindhorn Wachirasiri / Chonburi Province, Thailand / 10 – 11 October 2015*
Mr. Gyanendra Sthapit and Mr. Preecha Jaengjit / Muscat, Oman / 10 – 16 October 2015
Prof. Gopal B. Thapa / Kathmandu, Nepal / 10 - 22 October 2015
Dr. Clemens M. Grunbuhel / Mandalay, Myanmar / 11 – 16 October 2015
Miss Soe Soe Htway / Mandalay, Myanmar / 11 – 20 October 2015
Prof. Nazrul Islam / Boston, USA / 11 – 25 October 2015
Dr. Pham Huy Giao / Chiba, Japan / 11 – 15 October 2015
Dr. Chotchai Charoenngam / Myanmar / 13 – 14 October 2015
Dr. P. Abdul Salam / India / 13 – 15 October 2015
Dr. Lal Samarakoon / Jakarta, Indonesia / 14 – 16 October 2015
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep and Mr. Krailak Fakkaew / Chiang Mai Province, Thailand / 16 October 2015
Prof. Kanchana Kanchanasut / Dublin, Ireland / 17 – 25 October 2015
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep / Jakarta, Indonesia / 18 – 20 October 2015
Dr. Shobhakar Dhakal / Jakarta, Indonesia / 18 – 21 October 2015
Prof. Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai / Daejoen and Gwanju, South Korea / 18 – 22 October 2015
Prof. Mukand Singh Babel / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 18 – 23 October 2015
Dr. Victor Shinde / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 18 – 23 October 2015
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Administrative Secretary (President's Office)
Ref. No: 51/15
Deadline: 16 October 2015
Senior Administrative Officer (Finance Office)
Ref. No: 52/15
Deadline: 20 October 2015
Information, Quality & Document Management Officer (AIT Consulting)
Ref. No: 47/15
Deadline: 23 October 2015
Programme Officer (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No: 49/15
Deadline: 30 October 2015
Administrative Officer (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No: 48/15
Deadline: 31 October 2015
Head, Human Resources Office (Human Resources Office)
Ref. No: 2/15
Deadline: 31 October 2015
Assistant or Associate Professor Position (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No. 8/15
Deadline: 8 November 2015
Assistant or Associate Professors Positions (School of Management)
Ref. Fac 5/15
Deadline: 31 December 2015
Assistant or Associate Professor, SERD (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No: Fac 4/15
Deadline: 15 July 2016