WEEK #43, 26 October – 1 November 2015
In this issue:
The confirmed notes of the 24 September 2015 meeting of the AIT Management Team are now Intranet-published at: http://www.ait.ac.th/management/aitmt-notes
CONDOLENCES TO PEOPLE OF AFGHANISTAN AND PAKISTAN ON LOSSES DUE TO EARTHQUAKE
27 October 2015
Dear Faculty, Staff, Students, Alumni and Partners:
The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) offers its deepest condolences over the loss of precious lives and the destruction in Afghanistan and Pakistan caused by the recent earthquake that severely rocked the two countries. This was Afghanistan’s strongest earthquake in more than six decades and struck about 2:10 p.m. (5:10 a.m. ET) on Monday, 26th October, in a remote area of the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan about 28 miles south-southwest of Jarm, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Tremors from the earthquake were also felt in Tajikistan, India and Nepal.
On behalf of all members of the AIT community, I would like to convey my deepest condolences and sympathies to the Governments and people of Afghanistan and Pakistan, particularly to the families of the victims and all those affected by this massive disaster which is still unfolding. Our thoughts and prayers are with our alumni in our partner countries, former faculty colleagues, friends and institutional partners.
AIT enjoys a longstanding and close relationship with Afghanistan and Pakistan and stands ready to provide any assistance that it can in this time of need.
Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai
Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
AIT President addresses World Science and Technology Forum (WSTF) in Republic of Korea
AIT President Prof. Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai was personally invited by H.E. Choi Yanghee, Minister of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Republic of Korea, to serve as an Invited Speaker at the World Science and Technology Forum (WSTF) under the theme of “Creating Our Common Future through Science, Technology, and Innovation.” WSTF was organized as a prelude event to the OECD Ministerial Meeting 2015 at Daejeon on the following day. This long-awaited OECD Ministerial Meeting is expected to provide new milestones for science, technology and innovation (STI) for the next few decades.
The WSTF, attended by thousands of university leaders and scientists, was opened on 19 October 2015 by H.E. Hwang Kyo-ahn, Prime Minister of Korea. The Forum brought together the world's most distinguished STI leaders with the aims to: 1) Examine techno-economic paradigm shifts, 2) Discuss our common global future that science and technology will help create, 3) Build a consensus on global cooperation towards addressing significant shared challenges, and 4) Deliver the visions and insights of STI leaders to the OECD Ministerial Meeting on the next day.
Aside from the opportunity to listen to many world-renowned scientists and leaders including two Noble Laureates, who addressed how science, technology and innovation can play a key role in solving global challenges, President Worsak was honored by the opportunity the honor to share his ideas on how AIT can offer a neutral platform to address transnational challenges through multidisciplinary research. His presentation titled “Internationalization and multidisciplinary of science and technology research (wstf 2015 daejeon)” can be viewed at:
Prof. Kasuo Yamamoto, AIT Vice President, was also invited, independently, to speak on "Mitigation and Adaptation on Frequent Drought and Water Shortage.”
AIT President Worsak visits Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) in Korea at the invitation of its President
In connection with the OECD’s World Science and Technology Forum (WSTF), Professor Seung Hyeon Moon, President of the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST), invited AIT President Worsak to visit the campus and discuss ideas for a mutually beneficial relationship in research and education between AIT and GIST.
GIST considers itself a small yet specialized research institute which focuses on science and technology. It is fully supported by the Korean Government.
Despite having only been established in 1993, the faculty at GIST has achieved the notable distinction of being ranked 4th in the world by the 2014 QS World University Rankings in the category of ‘Citations per Faculty’.
When GIST was first established, it was a postgraduate-only institute like AIT. Just six years ago, however, after a long debate among its stakeholders, GIST decided to open an Undergraduate Program, adopting the model of the California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech) in the United States. GIST President Moon said the decision has proven to be the right one. Now GIST is able to groom its own students from bachelor degree level to doctorate level.
After an official lunch hosted by President Moon, the president visited the Global Desalination Research Center (GDRC) where its Director, Professor In S. Kim, explained his advanced research on Reverse Osmosis. This was followed by a tour of the Research Institute for Solar and Sustainable Energies (RISE), which impressed us with its new Organic Solar Cells based on polymers. The “solar sheets” are like thin film and can be folded to any surface. We also visited Hall of Nobel Laureates that was set up after 4 Nobel Laureates worldwide agreed to collaborate with GIST.
Finally, the AIT delegation visited the brand new ‘learning space’ of GIST's library that was just open last year, which is following the common trend world-wide. Like AIT is doing now, GIST officials visited many universities before it ended up with a nice design that would offer tremendous benefits to the students.
RTG Fellowship available for January 2016 Semester
Please be informed that RTG fellowship will be available for January 2016 semester; however, each applicant will be granted only 12 credits (25%) RTG fellowship to cover the semester of January 2016. If an applicant needs to be offered more than 12 credits, the excess credits over the first 12 credits must be covered by AIT fellowships under the respective school budget.
This will be applied to all schools and we have about 50 @12credits altogether to be used up in January. Any amount unused has to be returned to RTG.
Grant Opportunities from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is inviting applications that address specific challenges defined in the grant programs below. For details and application instructions, please visit the new Grand Challenges website. Please note that descriptions of the challenges are available on the website in Chinese, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
1) Grand Challenges Explorations is seeking innovative global health and development solutions and is now accepting proposals for its latest application round. Applicants can be at any experience level; in any discipline; and from any organization, including colleges and universities, government laboratories, research institutions, non-profit organizations, and for-profit companies. Initial grants will be US $100,000 each, and projects showing promise will have the opportunity to receive additional funding of up to US $1 million.
Proposals are being accepted online until November 11, 2015 for the following challenges:
- Novel Approaches to Characterizing and Tracking the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance
- Explore New Solutions in Global Health Priority Areas
Addressing Newborn and Infant Gut Health Through Bacteriophage-Mediated Microbiome Engineering
- Explore New Ways to Measure Delivery and Use of Digital Financial Services Data
2) New Interventions for Global Health: Vaccine Manufacturing. This challenge focuses on innovations in vaccine manufacturing platforms designed to lower production cost for vaccines that target diseases of great global burden and that are among the most costly to produce with current technologies.
Letters of Intent will be accepted until November 5, 2015.
3) The Global Innovation Fund is accepting application on a rolling basis. Please visit the website for more information http://globalinnovation.fund/apply-to-gif
4) An Interactive Biostatistics Course will be held from 16-20 November 2015 at the KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for TB and HIV (K-RITH), based at the Nelson R. Mandela School of Medicine in Durban, South Africa. The primary goal of this course is to give participants an overview of the various biostatistical methods used in medical research so that they can both employ these techniques in their own research and better understand the results presented in medical literature. Lori Chibnik, PhD, MPH, a Biostatistician at Harvard University, will run an inspiring and hands-on training course on biostatistics where students will work with data from their own projects to understand basic statistical concepts and methods used in medical research. Travel Scholarships are available to allow trainees foracross Africa to attend. For more information and to apply please visit www.k-rith.org. Deadline for applications: 1 October 2015.
5) In addition, the African Academy of Sciences and the New Partnership for African Development have launched Grand Challenges Africa in Nairobi, Kenya. This program joins others within the Grand Challenges family of grant programs supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and its partners. Grand Challenges Africa will build on the global success of Grand Challenges programs in India, Brazil, and South Africa, as well as the strong base of Africa Grand Challenges grantees already funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Grand Challenges Canada, and USAID. Please read our latest blogs including one from the Global Health President. For more information please visit AAS.
Furthermore, as a forum for sharing ideas, pursuing new opportunities and keeping abreast of new developments in the field of global health, The Gates Foundation together with Grand Challenges Canada has set-up a LinkedIn group. All you need to join is a free LinkedIn account - go to Global Health Innovations and click “Join”.
We look forward to receiving innovative ideas from around the world and from all disciplines. If you have a great idea, please apply. If you know someone else who may have a great idea, please forward this message.
Thank you for your commitment to solving the world's greatest health and development challenges.
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives.
Interested persons please visit: www.grandchallenges.org
Emerald Online Quiz 2015
Emerald has launched and online Quiz 2015 for all universities in Thailand who subscribe to Emerald.
To join activities please click to https://goo.gl/lWvr5i
The online quiz starts now and lasts until 31st October 2015.
1st place winner: iPad Mini 1 prize
2nd place winners: Emerald Backpack 2 prizes
3rd place winners: Emerald Power Bank 3 prizes
4th place winners: Emerald Sheep Bag 5 prizes
5th place winners: Emerald keychain 10 prizes
Emerald will announce all winners on Instragram @emeraldthailand on 5 November 2015.
Follow up Call for a Proposal due in October
Prof. Kanchana Kanchanasut, Vice President for Research, would like to remind the AIT Community regarding the following call for a proposal due in October 2015:
- Regional Forum on Climate Change grant of 143,000 EUR for 3 projects (adaptation/mitigation/cross-cutting studies). Teams must involve 3 research centers: 1 AIT, 1 French, 1 other Asian.
Deadline: October 31, 2015
ABU Asia Pacific Robot Contest
Thailand will host ABU Asia Pacific Robot Contest next year under the theme “Clean Energy Recharging the World,” organized by Thailand’s Channel 9 (MCOT)
The contest’s rules were announced on 23 August 2015 in Indonesia. The rules are specified by an academic committee chaired by Dr. Manukid Parnichkun of Mechatronics Program, School of Engineering and Technology.
Please see the contest introduction VDO from the following links:
Further information is available at: www.aburobocon2016.com
Request for Information: Fulbright Alumni
In early November a delegation from the Institute of International Education (IIE) will visit AIT to explore possible areas of collaboration. IIE is interested to know if there are any Fulbright Alumni among the AIT Faculty and Staff.
As External Relations and Communications Office (ERCO) will coordinating the visit of IIE, the Fulbright Alumni are requested to contact Dr. Gabrielle Groves Punyaratabandhu, Head of ERCO, tel. +66 2 524 6024 or email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and provide the following details:
1. Full Name
2. Current Position at AIT
3. Fulbright Alumni at which Institution and dates
Dr. Groves Punyaratabandhu will follow up directly with you about your possible interest in participating in a meeting with the delegation.
AIT Faculty Making News
Dr. Shobhakar Dhakal of the Energy Field of Study at the School of Environment, Resources and Development spoke at the plenary session of the Sixth Asia Pacific Urban Forum held on October 21 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Dr. Shobhakar spoke at the session on “Climate-smart and Resilient Cities.” The session provided recommendations on how cities can become more resilient and adaptive to climate change, disasters and other risks, while reducing their own impact on climate change and also contributing to broader poverty reduction and urban sustainability goals.
Dr. Thammarat Koottatep of Environmental Engineering and Management (EEM) at the AIT School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD) represented AIT at the launch of the “Policy Guidance Manual on Wastewater Management”, which was released on the occasion of the Sixth Asia Pacific Urban Forum (APUF6) at Jakarta, Indonesia on 19 October 2015. Jointly produced by UN-ESCAP, UN-Habitat and the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), the manual focuses on decentralized wastewater treatment systems.
Dr. Nguyen Thi Kim Oanh of the Environmental Engineering and Management Field of Study was quoted in the United Arab Emirates’ media concerning possible collaboration between AIT and the UAE on its Research Program for Rain Enhancement Science.
Bangchak Scholarships Awarding Ceremony
On 2 November 2015, there will be Bangchak Scholarships Awarding Ceremony at Bangchak’s Head Office. Two scholarships will be awarded to following students: Mr. Danupol Wetchasirikul, Energy FoS, SERD; Ms. Nattaphan Suksri, Environmental Engineering and Management FoS, SERD. Associate Prof. Dr. Weerakorn Ongsakul, Ms. Chalita Lertwinyu, Assistant to the President, and Dr. Tenzin Rabgyal, Coordinator, Admission and Scholarships Officer, will be representatives from AIT to attend the ceremony.
The AIT Community would like to express deepest condolences to the family of AIT alumnus Mrs. Mibpolo Sinsuat Baraguir (Mibs), who passed away on 14 October 2015, at Cotabato City, in the Philippines. Mrs. Baraguir, from the Philippines, graduated from AIT's Human Settlements Development (HSD) Division in December 1985 (May 1984 entry) and was a specialist in Rural Regional Development Planning. ‘Mibs’ was a wonderful, lovely human being and a dear friend and colleague to many AITians of the mid-1980s. She passed away in her hometown. Her funeral was held at Cotabato City on Saturday, 17 October 2015.
TOEIC test at AIT on Oct 29
The AIT Career Center is organizing a TOEIC test on 29 October 2015 from 08:00 - 12:00 hrs. at the Milton Bender Auditorium, AIT Extension Building, AIT.
The TOEIC test questions are based on real-life work settings in an international environment (meetings, travel, telephone conversations, etc). The Test is used by organizations to determine whether an employee is suitable for a particular task. If you work or want to work for a large organization, particularly in Asia, then the TOEIC test will be useful to you.
The schedule of registration, payment method, confirmation of payment and TOEIC preparation course are given below:
12- 21 October 2015 Online Registration and Payment for TOEIC Test.
Payment (by cash) at Career Center Office through Ms. Chatchata, AIT Admin Building (beside Registry) during office hours.
29 October 2015: TOEIC Test at the Milton Bender Auditorium from 08:00 - 12:00 hrs.
The price for students is 700 baht and for current AIT staff is 1,000 Thai Baht.
Lastly, please note that a minimum of 25 students is needed for this test to be administered in AIT.
To register for the test:
We are thankful to the Center for Professional Assessment (TOEIC Test Center), the only TOEIC test conductor in Thailand, for conducting the standardized test.
Reading and Writing Chinese Course
The AIT Language Center is pleased to announce the Reading and Writing Chinese for Beginners.
Reading and Writing Chinese for Beginners
3rd November – 9th December 2015 (12 lessons)
Tuesday and Thursday, from 16:30 - 18:00
There is a discount fee for this course with only 750 baht due to kind support from the Chinese Government through the Confucius Institute. (No refunds.)
Interested persons please register at the Language Center, Room 216.
Recirculating Aquaculture Systems and Aquaponics – Training Camp
A training camp on “Recirculating Aquaculture Systems and Aquaponics: Design, Engineering, Operation and Management” will be organized by the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) from 9 –13 November 2015.
Led by the Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management (AARM) field of study at the AIT School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD), the program focuses on various scenarios of Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) and Aquaponics.
Dr. Krishna R. Salin
Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management (AARM)
Asian Institute of Technology
PO Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathum Thani 12120 Thailand
Mobile: +66 888 469664 Office: +66 2 524 5452 (Dir.) +66 2 524 5489 (Sec.)
DPMM Seminars for Asia Pacific Initiative for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance
Disaster Preparedness Mitigation and Management (DPMM) program shall be conducting a seminar series from August-December 2015 as a part of the Asia Pacific Initiative for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance. The seminars will be delivered from JICA Room, Second Floor, School of Engineering and Technology (SET).
To reserve a seat, kindly contact
AIT Career Fair – November 4, 2015
35 ORGANIZATIONS TO MEET @ THE AIT CAREER FAIR
4 November 2015, AIT Conference Center
35 organizations have confirmed so far to join the Career Fair on 4 November 2015! You are cordially invited to explore and uncover opportunities offered by the companies that are joining the event.
A brief profile of the companies that are attending our Fair for the very first time are given below:
- Agoda Services Co., Ltd. - one of the fastest-growing online hotel platforms worldwide, listing hundreds of thousands of hotels and providing services in 38 different languages
- Asian Disaster PreparednessCenter (ADPC) - an independent non-governmental organization that deploys disaster risk management (DRM) information and systems to reduce local, national and regional risk across Asia-Pacific
- East West Seed ROH Ltd. - market leader by selling premium quality hybrid and open pollinated seeds for all major tropical vegetable crops
- aCommerce Co., Ltd. - provider of full service end-to-end ecommerce solutions with specialized teams
- FDI Recruitment (Thailand) Co., Ltd. – premier recruitment agency
- Thunder Oilfield Services (Thailand) Ltd. – provider of superior services for customized offshore crane management in the oil & gas industry
- Decathlon Production (Thailand) Ltd. – outdoor gear/sporting goods distributor
- King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi – a leading technology academy in Thailand
- INTEQC Feed Co., Ltd. - livestock agricultural business provider
- DSG International (Thailand) PCL - manufacturer and distributor of baby products/diapers
- Spring Professional Recruitment (Thailand) Ltd. - international recruitment firm for engineering, IT, property & construction, and supply fields
- MFEC PCL - Thailand's fastest growing IT Services enterprise
- Bluescope Steel PCL - leading international supplier of steel products and solutions and a flat steel producer
- Saraff Global - started with diamond business and diversified to real estate, trading, IT, power sector, plastics fields
The above companies are now joining the list with:
- Bangkok Glass PCL - manufacturer of glass containers in Asia
- Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited - petroleum services provider
- TEAM Consulting Engineering and Management Co., Ltd. - engineering consulting services
- Kasikorn Bank - leading universal banking group in Thailand
- Siam Cement Group - business conglomerate focused on chemicals, paper, cement, building materials and distribution
- Christiani and Nielsen PCL - construction contractor
- Tipco Asphalt PCL - manufacturer and distributor of asphalt products
- SDV Logistics (Thailand) Co., Ltd. - total logistics solutions
- Pylon PCL - specialty foundation contractor company
- Siam Makro Co., Ltd. - wholesale center for professional business operators
- Maxim Integrated Product (Thailand) Co., Ltd. - analog semiconductor company
- AMATA Corporation PCL - world’s leading industrial city developer
- ERM-Siam Co., Ltd. (Head Office - world’s leading sustainability consultancy
- Black & Veatch (Thailand) Ltd. - leading global engineering, consulting and construction company
- TOA Paint (Thailand) Co., Ltd. - leading paint manufacturer in Thailand
- GEMCITY Engineering and Manufacturing Thailand - designers and manufacturers of electrical / mechanical assemblies
- Panya Consultants - multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary professional consulting and management service provider
- AIT Consulting - offers solutions in technology, engineering, environment, development, and management
- Dutch Mill Co., Ltd. - one of the largest dairy manufacturing and distribution companies in Thailand
- Charoen Pokphand (CP) Foods PCL - one of the world's top food providers
- Nawarat Patanakarn PCL - one of Thailand's largest construction and engineering firms
WEBSITE LOGO SPONSORS:
- Siambrator Co., Ltd. - leading manufacturer of steel shot, steel grit and wear resistant alloy castings
- Bangkok Glass PCL
- Thunder Oilfield Services Co., Ltd.
CAREER TALK SCHEDULE:
MFEC PCL. - 28 October 2015 (Wed), 4 pm, AITCC
World Bank Gr. Info Session, aCommerce and Thunder Oilfield Services (to be announced later)
Career Fair companies who joined last year and this April 2015 who have placed AIT alumni/students for jobs and internships are as follows:
Bangkok Glass PCL, Black and Veatch (Thailand) Ltd., Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd, Bombardier Transportation Signal (Thailand) Ltd., Danish-Thai Chamber of Commerce, Eureka Design Public Company Limited, Gemcity Engineering and Mfg. Co., Ltd., Fircroft (Thailand) Ltd., Magnecomp Precision Technology PCL, Meinhardt (Thailand) Ltd., NSFAsia-Pacific Co., Ltd., Planet T&S Co., Ltd, PPS PCL, Schlumberger Overseas SA, Thai Beverage PCL, THAI O.P.P. PCL, Thaicom PCL, ThaiGerTec Co., Ltd, and Tipco Asphalt Co., Ltd.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE FAIR:
- Long-term career prospects
- Job placements
- Internship opportunities
- On-the-job training
- Research partners
- Networking with company representatives
- Free Goodies
- AIT Student Union sponsored Research Exhibition showcasing prototypes and posters related to students’ research!
Mark your calendar! For developments and career opportunities, drop by at: www.careercenter.ait.asia
or check: http://www.facebook.com/aitcareercenter
or email: email@example.com
or contact AIT Career Center via phone: +66 2 524 6744, +66 2 524 6326
- Delegation from NIT Manipur India, led by Dr. S. Birendra Singh, Director / 26 October 2015/ To discuss possible collaborations.
- Visit of H. E. Mr. Ngodup Tsering, Minister of Education, Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) / Dharamsala, India / 29 October 2015 / To learn and gain knowledge about AIT involvement in the regional development and to explore possible collaboration in the field of academic research and training.
- Visit of Dr. Michael Winckler, Administrative Director, HGS MathComp / Hiedelberg University, Germany / 30 October 2015 / to enhance existing networks between local and European partners and to promote Heidelberg and IWR as a place of research and offer visiting programs especially for young scientists and administrative staffs.
- Dr. Manop Sittidech, Minister Counsellor/ Director, Office of Science and Technology, Royal Thai Embassy, Brussels, Belgium, and Dr. Pierrick Fillon-Ashida, Senior Policy Officer, Directorate for International Affairs/ Asia Unit / 30 October 2015 / To discuss EU-ASEAN collaboration related to Mekong Water Sustainable Cities.
Dr. Faiz Shah / Lahore and Islamabad, Pakistan & Dubai, United Arab Emirates / 9 – 19 August 2015*
Ms. Saranka Lanka Madawalagama / Semarang, Indonesia / 14 – 17 October 2015*
Mr. Pallav Shrestha and Ms. Thiantheera Piriyawong / Nakhon Phanom Province, Thailand / 16 – 18 October 2015*
Dr. Lal Samarakoon / Manila, Philippines / 18 – 23 October 2015*
Dr. Oleg Shipin / Phnom Penh, Cambodia / 20 – 23 October 2015*
Mr. Syed Muntasir Husain Bokhari / Jakarta & Surabaya, Indonesia / 24 October – 7 November
Dr. Naveed Anwar / New York, USA / 25 – 28 October 2015
Dr. B. H. W. Hadikusumo / Vietnam / 25 October – 31 December 2015
Ms. Lucena D. Talaid / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 29 October – 2 November 2015
Mr. Sanjeev Jayasinghe / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 29 October – 6 November 2015
Ms. Sitahng Puttha / Colombo, Sri Lanka / 30 October – 2 November 2015
*(Staff or faculty member travelled and returned to AIT prior to documentation received for publication)
Programme Officer (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No: 49/15
Deadline: 30 October 2015
Senior Programme Specialist (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific)
Ref. No: 50/15
Deadline: 30 October 2015
Facilities Officer (OFAM) (Office of Facilities and Assets Management)
Ref. No: 53/15
Deadline: 30 October 2015
Administrative Officer (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No: 48/15
Deadline: 31 October 2015
Head, Human Resources Office (Human Resources Office)
Ref. No: 2/15
Deadline: 31 October 2015
Assistant or Associate Professor Position (School of Engineering & Technology)
Ref. No. 8/15
Deadline: 8 November 2015
Head, Climate Change Cluster (Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific) Ref. No. 54/15
Deadline: 15 November 2015
Assistant or Associate Professors Positions (School of Management)
Ref. Fac 5/15
Deadline: 31 December 2015
Assistant or Associate Professor, SERD (School of Environment, Resources & Development)
Ref. No: Fac 4/15
Deadline: 15 Jan 2016