WEEK# 8, 22 – 28 February 2021
In this issue:
1) Update from the AIT COVID-19 Task Force
Email from Director, Office of Academic Administration on 20 February 2021
Dear AIT Family,
1. Organizational Quarantine (OQ) Updates -- We wish to inform you that a student in our Organizational Quarantine (OQ) tested positive for COVID-19 and on 18 February was transported from the OQ and AIT campus by a Thammasat University Hospital ambulance for treatment at the Hospital. We wish this student a speedy and complete recovery.
Our OQ continues to run smoothly and receive overseas international students. As of 19 February, a total of 197 AIT students from overseas will have entered our OQ, broken down as follows: Continuing Students (36), New Students - Fall 2020 (115); New Students - Spring 2021 (46). To date, 181 of the OQ students have successfully gone through the OQ, with 9 of them in SI. Thirteen others are currently still in the OQ. Eleven of our OQ students have so far tested positive for COVID-19. Seven of them are now healthy after treatment in Thammasat University Hospital (TUH) and completely free in their movement, with one to be discharged from OQ on Monday, 22 February. Three of them are unfortunately still undergoing treatment at TUH. As you are aware, AIT has also been accommodating some of Thammasat University's overseas students, as a friendly gesture to our hospital partner and neighbor. To date, a total of 59 Thammasat University students have gone through our OQ, and we currently have one TU student at the OQ.
2. Hybrid Instruction, Work from Home and other Policies - In the 17 February Task Force message we had mentioned that a decision will be made by this weekend to see if further action is needed, including whether to move classes fully online and to work from home. It has been decided that Hybrid instruction will continue and work from home does not need to be considered for the time being.
All previous policies as communicated in the 16 and 17 February Task Force messages still apply. We would like to reiterate the following:
• The Task Force strongly encourages AIT community members who reside off-campus within the Pathumthani province and normally commute to AIT campus to work-from-home and take classes online during this time. The TF leaves it up to individual judgments and supervisors’ decisions to plan their respective office and classroom requirements. If you have any hesitation as to your living and activity neighbourhood within Pathumthani, staying home would be a wise decision.
• Residents on campus and outside Pathumthani are expected to report to work and attend classes in person.
• We continue to advise AIT community members not to venture out of the AIT Gate to visit Pathumthani at this time unless they must.
3. Visitors / Guests – We wish to clarify that no overnight guests are allowed at the AIT Conference Center (AITCC) except for sponsored guests, and only if they are not from Samut Sakhon and Pathumthani provinces.
Since the Thailand COVID-19 situation continues to be fluid, please stay updated on news from the Government of Thailand and other updates from the AIT COVID-19 Task Force available at the Intranet page. We must all remain vigilant and urge you to continue to maintain a high level of safety and hygiene measures. Thank you very much.
AIT COVID-19 Task Force
2) AIT Tech Talks on Industry Transformation with Big Data and AI tomorrow
We are pleased to invite you to our first event of the new initiative, called the AIT Tech Talks. This series of events will be organized under the AIT Enterprises Alliance (AEA) platform, to highlight the expertise of AIT in various emerging technologies and developments.
This first event on Industry Transformation with Big Data and AI will be held on 23 February 2021, Tuesday (09:00 - 16:00 hrs, Bangkok Time) at the AIT Entrepreneurship Center (online). It will highlight experts experiences working in the industry utilizing AI and Big Data.
• Keynote presentations from experts in AIT and from the Industry
• Technical talks by AIT faculty and experts
• Panel Discussion on "The Bright and Dark Side of AI"
• Workshop and interaction between AIT and Industry teams
Big Data and AI are progressing fast. The advances in two of these areas have been phenomenal and experts at AIT are working with the industry partners in applying Big Data and AI, we invite you to learn more.
To join, please register here:
For more details, please visit:
3) A seminar on "Wireless Sensor Network and Internet of Things" by Dr.Kamol Kaemarungsi
Please be invited to attend a seminar on "Wireless Sensor Network and Internet of Things" by Dr.Kamol Kaemarungsi, Director of Communications and Network Research Unit, NECTEC, Wireless Sensor Networks and IoT as following schedule;
4) AITS Meet the Expert - Dr. Christian Meinhardt
We are pleased to invite you to the Meet the Expert by Dr. Christian Meinhardt, Director, TMD Systems, GERB Vibration Control Systems on 25th February 2021 (03:30 PM-Bangkok time).
Topic - Supplementary Damping for High Rise Buildings
About the Speaker
Born in 1975, Christian Meinhardt studied structural engineering at the Technical University Berlin and specialized in structural and soil dynamics. His first contact with Tuned Mass Dampers (TMDs) was during an undergraduate research internship at the KATRI and the Kobori Institute in Japan. After he received his degree in 2001, he worked in the fields of structural dynamics at the Federal Research Institute of Material Research and Testing. In 2006, he joined GERB Vibration Control Systems and was in charge of the realization of several Large Scale TMD applications for towers and tall buildings worldwide.
To join, please register here:
5) Regional Webinar Series #1: South Asia on COVID-19 & Plastic Pollution
Training Courses/ Conferences/ Workshops
1) 100 Innovations x Entrepreneurs : What Drives the Future?
WHAT DRIVES THE FUTURE?
The first 100 Innovations x Entrepreneurs (100X) event was organized by the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) in 2019 as Southeast Asia’s first Research-to-Commercial conference to bridge the gap between academia and industry. The event also served as the venue to launch AIT’s Entrepreneurship Center, a breeding ground for future business leaders as well as a learning center with the ultimate goal of enhancing economic and social development. As our signature annual event, this year also AIT is organizing the second 100X in a new normal hybrid mode, a combination of online and in-person to also reach out to more people from different parts of the world. The theme for this event is What Drives the Future with a mindset to rethink our future by focusing on how we can improve the basic human needs such as Food, WellBeing, Living, Education, and Communication in context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).We believe that collaboration among different stakeholders: University, Industry, Government, and Civil Society is the key to safeguard our future and each stakeholder has a critical role to play in achieving the SDGs. Through this event, AIT, as one of the stakeholders, is reaching out to the Government, Industry and Civil Society to collaborate with us as co-organizer, partner, and participants.
2) Online training course on "Connect Learning with Monitoring and Evaluation: A Strategy for Project M&E in Current COVID-19 Pandemic"
Date: 26 April - 13 May 2021
Time: 14:00 - 16:00 hrs. (Bangkok time)
Learn from practitioners on how to develop M & E pathways that foster measurement of results and respond to current changes of M&E contexts. Broadening perspectives for innovative ways to develop tools and reporting mechanisms that help to make decisions for project implementation.
Aims of the program
Enhance practical knowledge and scope for M&E approach and practices during COVID-19.
Be acquainted with appropriate research design and data collection tools.
Apply M &E concept to create information sharing and reporting strategies.
For more information and registration pls. visit https://extension.ait.ac.th/course/1127
Position: Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Environment, Resources, and Development (DDS-UEM)
Ref. No. 02/21
Deadline: 31 March 2021
Position: Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Environment, Resources and Development (DDS-GDS)
Ref. No. 9/20
Deadline: 15 February 2021
Position: Associate/Assistant Professor, School of Engineering & Technology (SET-ICT)
Ref. No. 01/21
Deadline: 28 February 2021
Position: Senior Program Officer, Office of International Affairs
Ref. No. 2/21
Deadline: 26 February 2021